Re: [SCA-Milliners] Digest Number 304

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2003
      Eridani Aurus wrote:
      > Carrot leaves are an attractive dagged sort of leaf
      > aren't they?

      Yeah; they're almost feathery. I suppose if you left the carrot on,
      they might last longer. But mostly what I can picture is a carrot down
      the bodice like the ahistorical "bodice daggers" women wear, with the
      leaves waving under the chin!

      I just can't imagine where the 'in the hair' myth got started.

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or
      Cynthia du Pré Argent

      Starting with 2,600 studies published in medical journals since the
      1960s, researchers ended up with only 107 rigorous enough to merit
      meta-analysis. From these studies, the researchers inferred that the
      principle at work behind low-carb diets (such as Atkins) had little to
      do with carbs per se, and everything to do with the subjects consuming
      less calories.
      -- Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research at Stanford
      University in California.
    • Juliane de Vivonne
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2003
        You know if you stuck them to a piece of duct tape......

        Wait. I think I need more coffee.

        Juliane

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Eridani Aurus
        <eridaniaurus@y...> wrote:
        > Carrot leaves are an attractive dagged sort of leaf
        > aren't they?
        >
        > I don't imagine dried carrot leaves would be any good.
        > Unlike dried flowers, green things go black when dry
        > and they would lose any resemblance to the decorative
        > original.
        >
        > Would dipping them in starch keep them going longer?
        > Elizibethans were obviously wizards with starch.
        >
        > Would they possibly sink as low as we and substitute
        > an undying fabric fake for the real thing?
        >
        > Now as to what to do with them. Up until this point I
        > have tended to pluck leaves and such out of my hair.
        > I've never thought I looked very good wearing
        > vegetation.
        >
        > Eridani
        >

        > > Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:55:20 -0500
        > > From: Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...>
        > > Subject: Carrot leaves?
        > >
        > > Hi Folks,
        > >
        > > Something amusing for your mornings:
        > >
        > > I came across a dubious Post-Elizabeth I factoid.
        > > This is from a review
        > > of a book telling you all the things you can grow
        > > from veggies you get
        > > at the store.
        > >
        > > A blurb in the root vegetables chapter explains that
        > > ladies of the court
        > > of King James I of England decorated their hair with
        > > carrot leaves.
        > >
        > > Now, the elizabethan & later costumers I know say
        > > that that this is
        > > entirely mythical. I'm curious if 1: anyone knows
        > > anyone who has tried
        > > it thinking it was correct or 2: if anyone knows the
        > > source of the mistake.
        > >
        > > I'm coming up short with an attractive way to wear
        > > carrot leaves, myth
        > > or no. They'd wilt so fast!
        > >
        > > cv

        ___

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Sir Arthur and Sorche
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2003
          <snip>
          Would they possibly sink as low as we and substitute
          > an undying fabric fake for the real thing?
          <snip>

          You betcha! I remember reading in Alison Weir's "Six Wives of Henry
          VIII" that one of the things that either Henry Manox or Francis
          Dereham (I think the latter) gave to Catherine Howard (long prior to
          her marriage) was an artificial flower of silk. Quite expensive too,
          as I recall.

          Sorche Kyrkeby