Re: [SCA-Milliners] Help creating Maleficent!

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2000
      Wanda Pease wrote:
      > BUT! I want that headdress!

      Two years ago, Disney was selling a version of the hat which was cut out
      of satin-covered foam rubber. It was flat, but it wore fairly well.

      For the very curvy horns, I'd probably try papier-mache. I have a
      feeling that cornucopias would be odd-feeling, but that doesn't matter
      much for a halloween costume.

      "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
      "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.
    • kcncress@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2000
        Regina....

        It's lucky that the Maleficent hat you're scheming sits so low on the head.
        That will make it much easier to keep on than the "lotsa hairline showin'"
        styles. Notice how the pictures you referenced in your original post have no
        ears showing. This should help balance the extreme height. You can almost
        imagine seams in one of the pictures--not a bad pattern!

        I'd go with buckram in a cornecopia shape. What a fun project! Let us know
        how it goes!

        Dejaniera
        Calontir
      • Cyneswith aet Caldhaefen
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
          Hi-
          I'm new to this group and have been reading a few of the old messages
          to get an idea of the "flavor" of the discussions you have. I saw
          your post and it caught my eye for two reasons:

          1) I'm a huge fan of Malificent - have been since I was very small. I
          have all kinds of Malificent paraphenalia and have always wanted to
          make that houp.

          2) I actually did the covered-cornucopia horns for a different
          houppelande I made for my Laureling ceremony last year and they came
          out great!! In retrospect, the next time I do this I will use the
          wire cornocopias I've seen in some of the craft stores recently
          instead of the wicker. I had to put a layer of batting (very thin)
          and an interliner over the horns to conceal the wicker texture before
          I sewed on the final green silk exterior. I think this would have
          been less of an issue with the wire (less texture) and they would've
          been lighter.

          I haven't had the chance to read all the messages on this list yet,
          so forgive me if you've already posted an answer, but How'd it work
          out for you? Did you have a wonderful time as the greatest Disney
          villainess ever?? Inquiring minds (well, mine anyway) want to know!!!

          Cyneswith

          --- In SCA-Milliners@egroups.com, "Wanda Pease" <wandap@h...> wrote:
          > I have been kicking around the thought of creating the outfit for
          > Maleficent, the Evil Fairy in Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty for
          Samhain here
        • Wanda Pease
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
            Alas, a greater villainess than I came along. I spent almost 12 days with
            some type of stomach flu that made me sleep almost every hour I wasn't
            actually at work (I even took two days off). I have the body of the
            houpeland and the collar (although I've got to take it off and re-do it.
            Never try to sew silk velvet when you aren't feeling well! Especially not
            black silk velvet that just eats up light like a black hole). The sleeves
            still languish on my cutting tables set up in the living room (no husband,
            no kids, just cats). The velvet is cut and I am now piecing the purple silk
            lining fabric (fabric stashes and friends from Thailand are wonderful!).
            There is always next year, and with the amount of money that is going
            into this gown, I'm still determined to get that headdress right. I saw
            some two horned hennins in France when I was there, that make me feel that
            it is not so far out!
            Please can I get pictures of your hat and outfit?

            I have a very soft spot for Maleficent because of other Sleeping Beauty
            renditions I've seen. In one of them she is simply an old, ugly fairy, and
            the court doesn't want anyone who isn't perfect near their child. She puts
            them to sleep to teach them a lesson about kindness. It's actually a motif
            you find in many fairy stories where the unfortunate youngest child is kind
            to an animal or a helpless person and it wins them the prize in the end.
            Of course the real reason is that I like a person who would rather
            "reign in hell than to serve in Heaven!" Got a sense of humor too!
            "They're a disgrace to the forces of Evil!"
            Best of all she makes a Fantastic Dragon

            Regina Romsey, 5th Viscountess Drachenwald (Dragons are a protected species
            in Drachenwald!)

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2000
              Too bad about the flu... Well, there is always next year and that
              will give you plenty of time to acheive perfection...

              I know what you mean about the silk velvet - I stepped up as Princess
              of the Mists earlier this year and I made our Investiture garb out of
              a blue silk velvet that was so dark it looked black til the light hit
              it just right... A costume laurel friend of mine summed it up best
              when she said sewing silk velvet was like "sewing snot." Drove me
              crazy to work with the stuff (especially under deadline) but the end
              result was worth it. Hang in there.

              I don't have any digital photos of the horns to send, but I will see
              about scanning something...