Help creating Maleficent!

  • Wanda Pease
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2000
      I have been kicking around the thought of creating the outfit for
      Maleficent, the Evil Fairy in Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty for Samhain here
      in the Barony of Three Mountains (AnTir). I went wild and bought 12 yards
      of 43" wide black Silk Velvet (ebay dutch auction at $7.00 a yard, came to
      just under $10 with shipping. I have purple silk for the lining of the
      enormous sleeves and standing collar.

      I plan to make the gown as a houpeland using Cynthia Virtue's concept
      (quarter circles with curved shoulder seams. See at:
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/circle_houp.html

      BUT! I want that headdress!
      (Check out:
      http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Tower/9989/villains.html and
      http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Quarter/7632/malnphil.jpg

      So far we have come up with a couple of small cornucopias covered with black
      bias fabric and attached to a bridal headpiece covered with fabric to make
      the full head covering.

      Somehow this is far easier to write than to do.

      I'll be using more of Cynthia's webbed suggestions, but I really want as
      many as I can get.

      Regina Romsey
      (Samhain, the Event, aka "A Day in Hell" is on 28 October!)
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2000
        Wanda Pease wrote:
        > BUT! I want that headdress!

        Two years ago, Disney was selling a version of the hat which was cut out
        of satin-covered foam rubber. It was flat, but it wore fairly well.

        For the very curvy horns, I'd probably try papier-mache. I have a
        feeling that cornucopias would be odd-feeling, but that doesn't matter
        much for a halloween costume.

        "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
        "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.
      • kcncress@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2000
          Regina....

          It's lucky that the Maleficent hat you're scheming sits so low on the head.
          That will make it much easier to keep on than the "lotsa hairline showin'"
          styles. Notice how the pictures you referenced in your original post have no
          ears showing. This should help balance the extreme height. You can almost
          imagine seams in one of the pictures--not a bad pattern!

          I'd go with buckram in a cornecopia shape. What a fun project! Let us know
          how it goes!

          Dejaniera
          Calontir
        • Cyneswith aet Caldhaefen
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
            Hi-
            I'm new to this group and have been reading a few of the old messages
            to get an idea of the "flavor" of the discussions you have. I saw
            your post and it caught my eye for two reasons:

            1) I'm a huge fan of Malificent - have been since I was very small. I
            have all kinds of Malificent paraphenalia and have always wanted to
            make that houp.

            2) I actually did the covered-cornucopia horns for a different
            houppelande I made for my Laureling ceremony last year and they came
            out great!! In retrospect, the next time I do this I will use the
            wire cornocopias I've seen in some of the craft stores recently
            instead of the wicker. I had to put a layer of batting (very thin)
            and an interliner over the horns to conceal the wicker texture before
            I sewed on the final green silk exterior. I think this would have
            been less of an issue with the wire (less texture) and they would've
            been lighter.

            I haven't had the chance to read all the messages on this list yet,
            so forgive me if you've already posted an answer, but How'd it work
            out for you? Did you have a wonderful time as the greatest Disney
            villainess ever?? Inquiring minds (well, mine anyway) want to know!!!

            Cyneswith

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
              Alas, a greater villainess than I came along. I spent almost 12 days with
              some type of stomach flu that made me sleep almost every hour I wasn't
              actually at work (I even took two days off). I have the body of the
              houpeland and the collar (although I've got to take it off and re-do it.
              Never try to sew silk velvet when you aren't feeling well! Especially not
              black silk velvet that just eats up light like a black hole). The sleeves
              still languish on my cutting tables set up in the living room (no husband,
              no kids, just cats). The velvet is cut and I am now piecing the purple silk
              lining fabric (fabric stashes and friends from Thailand are wonderful!).
              There is always next year, and with the amount of money that is going
              into this gown, I'm still determined to get that headdress right. I saw
              some two horned hennins in France when I was there, that make me feel that
              it is not so far out!
              Please can I get pictures of your hat and outfit?

              I have a very soft spot for Maleficent because of other Sleeping Beauty
              renditions I've seen. In one of them she is simply an old, ugly fairy, and
              the court doesn't want anyone who isn't perfect near their child. She puts
              them to sleep to teach them a lesson about kindness. It's actually a motif
              you find in many fairy stories where the unfortunate youngest child is kind
              to an animal or a helpless person and it wins them the prize in the end.
              Of course the real reason is that I like a person who would rather
              "reign in hell than to serve in Heaven!" Got a sense of humor too!
              "They're a disgrace to the forces of Evil!"
              Best of all she makes a Fantastic Dragon

              Regina Romsey, 5th Viscountess Drachenwald (Dragons are a protected species
              in Drachenwald!)

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2000
                Too bad about the flu... Well, there is always next year and that
                will give you plenty of time to acheive perfection...

                I know what you mean about the silk velvet - I stepped up as Princess
                of the Mists earlier this year and I made our Investiture garb out of
                a blue silk velvet that was so dark it looked black til the light hit
                it just right... A costume laurel friend of mine summed it up best
                when she said sewing silk velvet was like "sewing snot." Drove me
                crazy to work with the stuff (especially under deadline) but the end
                result was worth it. Hang in there.

                I don't have any digital photos of the horns to send, but I will see
                about scanning something...