Re: [SCA-Milliners] Quiet list

  • Andrea Gideon
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
      > Ginevra149@... wrote:
      >
      > > Did my dear ol' AOL unsubscribe me or has the list been very quiet
      > > due to the current world situation?
      > > Ginevra

      I subscribed to this list about a month ago, but I haven't been working
      on my hats. Right now, I have an almost completed tall hat for my
      husband that just needs a sweatband and a hat band. I guess once this
      baby pops out his new teeth, I'll get back to sewing :)
      Giovanna
    • Bridget Johnson
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
        If you have seen any of the German paintings by Lucus
        Cranch the Elder you can see what the Germans did
        under their coifs. The braids go across the top of the
        head. It is very handy for pinning things to. (hats,
        coifs etc)
        Rosalind L'Aubin

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Brooke Revere
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
          Thank you for the suggestion. I hope to try making a coif someday - so
          much to do, so little time :-)

          And thanks for the warning on velvet against velvet... hadn't thought of
          that.

          Adele Fontane
          (Barony of Terra Pomaria, An Tir)

        • Brooke Revere
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
            Danabren,

            Thank you for the warm welcome. And what you said about the "flat" of
            braids makes sense. I'll pay more attention when I put my hair up again.

            Adele Fontane

            danabren@... wrote:

            > Welcome!
            >
            > Your work is impressive, especially for being so new to the Society,
            > and I look forward to seeing what other brilliance you come up with :)
            >
            > > One style I'd love to wear is a low chignon (at the nap of the neck,
            > or even lower) to wear under my French hood. However, either my hair
            > isn't long enough, or I just don't understand how it's done.
            > > I've tried making a ponytail and coiling from there, but it turns
            > into a > cone that sticks out like a StarWars fad or a Greek goddess.
            > Tried > coiling several braids, but the pins dig into my neck when
            > pinning so low.
            > > Ideas, anyone?
            >
            > If you braid your hair, then coil it so that the flats wrap around
            > each other (a 3-strand braid will have a rectangular shape - wide &
            > flat, and slim and flat), and pin each coil in place as you go, it
            > holds well and doesn't start to cone out. It should make a flat coil
            > like a coffee
            > roll.
            >
            > Hope this makes sense, I'm on nifty painkillers for my back *wheee*
            >
            > Danabren
            > East
            >
            > ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
            > Our husbands would really forget our existence if we didn't nag at
            > them from time to time, just to remind them that we have a perfect
            > legal right to do so.
            > Duchess of Berwick, Lady Windermere's Fan
            > Oscar Wilde, 1892

          • Brooke Revere
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
              Does a coif have to be pinned on?

              Adele Fontane

              Bridget Johnson wrote:

              > If you have seen any of the German paintings by Lucus
              > Cranch the Elder you can see what the Germans did
              > under their coifs. The braids go across the top of the
              > head. It is very handy for pinning things to. (hats,
              > coifs etc)
              > Rosalind L'Aubin

            • Adrienne
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                The earlier ones have ties, but that's all I know. LOL

                Wishing she had hair past her ears,
                Ragna

                > > If you have seen any of the German paintings by Lucus
                > > Cranch the Elder you can see what the Germans did
                > > under their coifs. The braids go across the top of the
                > > head. It is very handy for pinning things to. (hats,
                > > coifs etc)
                > > Rosalind L'Aubin

                > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

              • chatdragun
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 19, 2003

                  > If you braid your hair, then coil it so that the flats wrap around
                  each
                  > other (a 3-strand braid will have a rectangular shape - wide &
                  flat, and
                  > slim and flat), and pin each coil in place as you go, it holds well
                  and
                  > doesn't start to cone out. It should make a flat coil like a coffee
                  > roll.
                  >
                  > Hope this makes sense, I'm on nifty painkillers for my back *wheee*
                  >
                  > Danabren
                  > East

                  It makes great sense. Thanks! And hope your back is better!
                  Suggestion - keep pencil/pen and paper handy - I've come up with some
                  great costume ideas when on painkillers.

                  Kat D'Raguna (also new to the list)