Quiet list

  • Ginevra149@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
      Did my dear ol' AOL unsubscribe me or has the list been very quiet due to the
      current world situation?
      Ginevra

    • Brooke Revere
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
        Greetings, Ginevra. I received your message, so it must be just a lull.
        I've been lurking for the past few weeks, and I suppose I should
        introduce myself to the list. I've been in the SCA for just over a year,
        and enjoy the costuming aspect. I'm doing late Tudor right now, which
        has been a crash course in sewing, pattern drafting, and research.

        I heard about this incredible list on Authentic_SCA (IIRC), and was
        delighted with the subject. It's amazing what a good hat, veil, hood or
        hairstyle will do for an outfit. Unfortunately, there seems to be a
        shortage of information out there, particularly on
        braiding/styling/putting up long hair (both in period and otherwise).

        I have medium length hair (almost to my natural waist, but with layers
        starting at the shoulder). I would love to do more with it, but lack the
        know-how. One style I'd love to wear is a low chignon (at the nap of the
        neck, or even lower) to wear under my French hood. However, either my
        hair isn't long enough, or I just don't understand how it's done. I've
        tried making a ponytail and coiling from there, but it turns into a cone
        that sticks out like a StarWars fad or a Greek goddess. Tried coiling
        several braids, but the pins dig into my neck when pinning so low.
        Ideas, anyone?

        Adele Fontane
        (known outside the SCA as Brooke Revere)

        P.S. Check out the accessories page on my website - pictures of my
        French hood and the other accessories I wear with my gowns):

        http://photos.ladybrooke.com/sca/gowns/velvetgown/accessories.htm

        Ginevra149@... wrote:

        > Did my dear ol' AOL unsubscribe me or has the list been very quiet
        > due to the current world situation?
        > Ginevra

      • Juliane de Vivonne
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
          In my case, the quiet has been from the mad sewing I have been doing
          for the Meridies 25th year Coronation.

          I sympathize with your hair woes. They are the same I experience. I
          am able to put my hair up with the use of hair sticks, but that
          doesn't really work under a french hood. I have tried a low chignon,
          but the hair seems too heavy and it falls out. I am probably not
          doing it right. I am really tempting all fate this weekend as I plan
          on braiding my hair into some kind of braided coil on the back of my
          hair and doing some hair taping with cream colored ribbon and maybe
          some pearls. Wish me luck. I had hoped to have my reta finished in
          time, but my husband needed some spiffy garb too.

          Juliane

          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Revere <WriteMe@L...>

        • Brooke Revere
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
            Sounds like fun... hope you'll share the pictures?

            Adele Fontane

            Juliane de Vivonne wrote:

            > In my case, the quiet has been from the mad sewing I have been doing
            > for the Meridies 25th year Coronation.
            >
            > I sympathize with your hair woes. They are the same I experience. I
            > am able to put my hair up with the use of hair sticks, but that
            > doesn't really work under a french hood. I have tried a low chignon,
            > but the hair seems too heavy and it falls out. I am probably not
            > doing it right. I am really tempting all fate this weekend as I plan
            > on braiding my hair into some kind of braided coil on the back of my
            > hair and doing some hair taping with cream colored ribbon and maybe
            > some pearls. Wish me luck. I had hoped to have my reta finished in
            > time, but my husband needed some spiffy garb too.
            >
            > Juliane

          • Odette d'Amboise
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
              Adele,

              Try making a coif to which you pin your French Hood.
              The coif can take the stress of the lower part of the
              braid coils.

              Try Mistress Drea's pattern as a jumping off point.
              http://costume.dm.net/headwear/coifmake.html

              My first problem with my proto-French Hood (otherwise
              know as the "Anne of Brittany" hood) was that the
              velvet of the hood velcro-ed itself the the velvet of
              my gown, putting stress on my neck.

              YIS,
              Odette d'Amboise

              http://tax.yahoo.com
            • danabren@juno.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                Welcome!

                Your work is impressive, especially for being so new to the Society, and
                I look forward to seeing what other brilliance you come up with :)

                > One style I'd love to wear is a low chignon (at the nap of the
                > neck, or even lower) to wear under my French hood. However, either
                > my
                > hair isn't long enough, or I just don't understand how it's done.
                > I've
                > tried making a ponytail and coiling from there, but it turns into a
                > cone
                > that sticks out like a StarWars fad or a Greek goddess. Tried
                > coiling
                > several braids, but the pins dig into my neck when pinning so low.
                > Ideas, anyone?

                If you braid your hair, then coil it so that the flats wrap around each
                other (a 3-strand braid will have a rectangular shape - wide & flat, and
                slim and flat), and pin each coil in place as you go, it holds well and
                doesn't start to cone out. It should make a flat coil like a coffee
                roll.

                Hope this makes sense, I'm on nifty painkillers for my back *wheee*

                Danabren
                East

                ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                Our husbands would really forget our existence if we didn't nag at them
                from time to time, just to remind them that we have a perfect legal right
                to do so.
                Duchess of Berwick, Lady Windermere's Fan
                Oscar Wilde, 1892

                Only $9.95 per month!
                Visit www.juno.com
              • Andrea Gideon
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                  > Ginevra149@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Did my dear ol' AOL unsubscribe me or has the list been very quiet
                  > > due to the current world situation?
                  > > Ginevra

                  I subscribed to this list about a month ago, but I haven't been working
                  on my hats. Right now, I have an almost completed tall hat for my
                  husband that just needs a sweatband and a hat band. I guess once this
                  baby pops out his new teeth, I'll get back to sewing :)
                  Giovanna
                • danabren@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                    On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 05:36:05 -0800 (PST) Odette d'Amboise
                    <alannawolfhart@...> writes:
                    > Adele,
                    >
                    > Try making a coif to which you pin your French Hood.
                    > The coif can take the stress of the lower part of the
                    > braid coils.
                    >
                    > Try Mistress Drea's pattern as a jumping off point.
                    > http://costume.dm.net/headwear/coifmake.html
                    >
                    > My first problem with my proto-French Hood (otherwise
                    > know as the "Anne of Brittany" hood) was that the
                    > velvet of the hood velcro-ed itself the the velvet of
                    > my gown, putting stress on my neck.
                    >
                    > YIS,
                    > Odette d'Amboise

                    Line the hood fall, and that problem should be mitigated.

                    Danabren

                    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                    Our husbands would really forget our existence if we didn't nag at them
                    from time to time, just to remind them that we have a perfect legal right
                    to do so.
                    Duchess of Berwick, Lady Windermere's Fan
                    Oscar Wilde, 1892

                    Only $9.95 per month!
                    Visit www.juno.com
                  • Bridget Johnson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                      If you have seen any of the German paintings by Lucus
                      Cranch the Elder you can see what the Germans did
                      under their coifs. The braids go across the top of the
                      head. It is very handy for pinning things to. (hats,
                      coifs etc)
                      Rosalind L'Aubin

                      http://tax.yahoo.com
                    • Brooke Revere
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                        Thank you for the suggestion. I hope to try making a coif someday - so
                        much to do, so little time :-)

                        And thanks for the warning on velvet against velvet... hadn't thought of
                        that.

                        Adele Fontane
                        (Barony of Terra Pomaria, An Tir)

                      • Brooke Revere
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                          Danabren,

                          Thank you for the warm welcome. And what you said about the "flat" of
                          braids makes sense. I'll pay more attention when I put my hair up again.

                          Adele Fontane

                          danabren@... wrote:

                          > Welcome!
                          >
                          > Your work is impressive, especially for being so new to the Society,
                          > and I look forward to seeing what other brilliance you come up with :)
                          >
                          > > One style I'd love to wear is a low chignon (at the nap of the neck,
                          > or even lower) to wear under my French hood. However, either my hair
                          > isn't long enough, or I just don't understand how it's done.
                          > > I've tried making a ponytail and coiling from there, but it turns
                          > into a > cone that sticks out like a StarWars fad or a Greek goddess.
                          > Tried > coiling several braids, but the pins dig into my neck when
                          > pinning so low.
                          > > Ideas, anyone?
                          >
                          > If you braid your hair, then coil it so that the flats wrap around
                          > each other (a 3-strand braid will have a rectangular shape - wide &
                          > flat, and slim and flat), and pin each coil in place as you go, it
                          > holds well and doesn't start to cone out. It should make a flat coil
                          > like a coffee
                          > roll.
                          >
                          > Hope this makes sense, I'm on nifty painkillers for my back *wheee*
                          >
                          > Danabren
                          > East
                          >
                          > ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                          > Our husbands would really forget our existence if we didn't nag at
                          > them from time to time, just to remind them that we have a perfect
                          > legal right to do so.
                          > Duchess of Berwick, Lady Windermere's Fan
                          > Oscar Wilde, 1892

                        • Brooke Revere
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                            Does a coif have to be pinned on?

                            Adele Fontane

                            Bridget Johnson wrote:

                            > If you have seen any of the German paintings by Lucus
                            > Cranch the Elder you can see what the Germans did
                            > under their coifs. The braids go across the top of the
                            > head. It is very handy for pinning things to. (hats,
                            > coifs etc)
                            > Rosalind L'Aubin

                          • Adrienne
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                              The earlier ones have ties, but that's all I know. LOL

                              Wishing she had hair past her ears,
                              Ragna

                              > > If you have seen any of the German paintings by Lucus
                              > > Cranch the Elder you can see what the Germans did
                              > > under their coifs. The braids go across the top of the
                              > > head. It is very handy for pinning things to. (hats,
                              > > coifs etc)
                              > > Rosalind L'Aubin

                              > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                            • chatdragun
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 19, 2003

                                > If you braid your hair, then coil it so that the flats wrap around
                                each
                                > other (a 3-strand braid will have a rectangular shape - wide &
                                flat, and
                                > slim and flat), and pin each coil in place as you go, it holds well
                                and
                                > doesn't start to cone out. It should make a flat coil like a coffee
                                > roll.
                                >
                                > Hope this makes sense, I'm on nifty painkillers for my back *wheee*
                                >
                                > Danabren
                                > East

                                It makes great sense. Thanks! And hope your back is better!
                                Suggestion - keep pencil/pen and paper handy - I've come up with some
                                great costume ideas when on painkillers.

                                Kat D'Raguna (also new to the list)