4149Re: Let's Get This Party Started!

  • rachelle_stephen
    Feb 26, 2013
      Hello, Rignach
      I've worn a hennin - both veiled and uncovered (a la van der Weyden), for the last 10 years or so... I prefer silk chiffon for the veil over the hennin, because it allows the 'fancy work' to show through and still drapes/flutters beautifully.

      I hope this helps!
      --Ysabeau Durant, Trimaris

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, <wheezul@...> wrote:

      > > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over
      > > the
      > > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
      > > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin
      > > in
      > > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and
      > > about
      > > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures
      > > we
      > > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are
      > > exaggerations. I
      > > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape
      > > would
      > > be wrong.
      > >
      > > The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make
      > > beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing
      > > off
      > > and give it more. umph!
      > >
      > > Plodding away in An Tir,
      > >
      > > rignachofargyllarms-signature
      > >
      > > Rignach of Argyll
      > >
      > > Lancer of Madrone
      >
      > You might wish to ask Pastiche if they are still selling their ultra fine
      > linen. I happily bought some - It is quite see through - and the other
      > thought is to get a silk that is of a looser weave. The light china silk
      > is fine stuff, but it is tightly woven together to serve as lining and
      > doesn't let much light pass through.
      >
      > Katherine in Three Mountains

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic