4059RE: [SCA-Milliners] Re: Slippage problems

  • Christine Taylor
    Sep 12, 2011
      I just remembered how I used to solve the problem of slippage... I had my
      own braids which made wearing veils easier. Then I cut my hair and am back
      to false braids again. I attach them to a headband that pins around my head
      Alice-style and a veil goes over it. I had slippage until I remembered that
      I used to add a second linen band going around my forehead to the back of my
      head. Both bands pin together at their intersections. The forehead band
      keeps the head band and veil from sliding backwards.

      I remember that OP said she could not wear a ton of things on her head
      because of headaches, but the second forehead band is so light and thin that
      perhaps it will be all right. It might even help since it counterbalances
      the backward drag of the head band and veil. I'm perfectly secure with the
      2-band method even with heavy false braids. I just wish I remembered how I
      did it before I went to yesterday's windy event!

      Caitlin

      Caitlin Christiana Wintour OL
      Ad augusta per angusta (To high places by narrow roads)
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic