4051Re: [SCA-Milliners] Slippage problems

    Sep 9, 2011
      On 9/9/11 10:39 AM, Eva wrote:
      > I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century). Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible. I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either. I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.
      >
      > Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

      My first guess would be that the linen is stretching. Either you can
      re-pin it, or when you iron it, be sure to do so under tension, so that
      it is as stretched as it is going to get.

      If that doesn't work, I use a linen coif for my daughter's veils instead
      of bands. As far as I can tell, the medieval folk didn't do that, but
      it looks good and some people like the convenience.

      cv

      --

      Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

      "Such virtue hath my pen...."-Shakespeare, Sonnet 81

      "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!"--Cynthia Virtue