3985Re: [SCA-Milliners] Assistance if I may

  • Kirsten Garner
    Jan 8, 2010
      Good afternoon,

      That is the standard English gable hood. There used to be instructions on making one linked off of Drea Leed's Elizabethan Costuming page, but that link seems to be down.

      Underneath it, the lady would have had her hair braided in two braids and wrapped around her head, as can *just* be seen in this portrait of Elizabeth of York (look closely just under the peak of the hat):
      http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/ElizabethYork.jpg

      Whether or not there was also a small coif is anyone's guess. :)

      If you don't want to do the full gable, there are a couple other options:

      http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/UnknownLady28.jpg
      from 1526ish

      or
      http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/CecilyHeron.jpg
      Also from 1526ish, and showing one of Thomas More's daughters.

      That's a brief skimming. :) Hope it helps!

      Julian