3767Re: [SCA-Milliners] Re: houppelande hat (larger source images)

  • Samia al-Kaslaania
    Jan 11, 2008
      Thank you for the larger images, I find and save my inspirations to my
      hard drive and then can't reference others to them when I start doing
      the research. Do art historians know which came first? I always assumed
      the second one listed because of the "crisper" image.

      I was looking at the second image specifically for my inspiration. I see
      that shape as having a flat top, but I believe that the hat retains it's
      shape when off the head.

      The regular pattern on the body of the hat suggests pattern-woven fabric
      to me, rather than embroidery.

      I have formal training in constructing hat frames, the daunting part is
      getting the shape right. Since I would like to have this for 12th night,
      I was hoping to use the Cliffs Notes of someone else's research. I
      suppose creating the research will be my after-work-settles-down
      endeavor. :)

      I do think it's interesting that his garment looks to be gathered at the
      shoulder on the front body. The sleeve appears to have a cap stiffener,
      looking with my bridal gown eye.

      Samia

      Cynthia Virtue wrote:
      > So are you thinking it is a simple cone, or something like that? A flat
      > shape which when you put it on the head, bows out the right way?
      >
      > Here are two enlargements of the two paintings, which show the pattern
      > embroidered (or whatever) on the horns, and shows the shaping a lot
      > better than the tiny picture:
      >
      > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/mchanger.jpg
      >
      > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/banker_w.jpg
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic