3757Re: [SCA-Milliners] Re: houppelande hat

  • Cindy Myers
    Jan 10, 2008
      > I think the shape is not merely elongated, but twisted. It reminds me
      > of a fat water-buffalo horns. It would be quite complex to make
      > right,
      > I think!
      >
      > cv

      This is one of the few hats from this period that I like. Do you
      know when this particular re-painting (of an oft-copied popular
      painting) was done? I don't have the original post anymore, sorry.

      I agree with Cynthia on the shape. I don't think you'll be able to
      achieve it with fabric-over-support because of the curling twist in it.

      My thought was to pull and block felt into the correct shape, like
      the professional hatter on this list describes in her web page (sorry
      again for not having the name.) Properly smoothed and shaped, I
      don't see why it would be much different from a more "traditional"
      shaped pulled-felt hat.

      It's definitely beyond -my- mediocre abilities.

      --Emmelyne
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic