3676Re: [SCA-Milliners] Barbettes

    Nov 2, 2007
      Cindy Myers wrote:
      > Since then I've been wondering if I should have cut the chin band on
      > the bias, to allow for a close fit -and- easy movement. How do
      > others cut theirs?

      I have mine on the straight grain, and have worn them this way for
      years. They are tubes of linen in a slightly thick weave (perhaps table
      napkin weight; less than cotton denim) turned inside out. I pin it
      firmly but not tightly to the forehead band.

      It does muffle my hearing very slightly, but nothing compared to cauls!

      If I wear a wimple, I pin that to the chin band, and then put the veil
      on over everything in the usual manner.

      (If people haven't seen my photo essay about wearing veils, you might
      find it useful: http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html -- lots of
      medieval and modern pictures.)

      cv
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic