3594Re: Veil

  • Susan Griner
    Jun 5, 2007
      I made a copy of this headdress last year.
      Here's what I think is going on
      The bump at the back of both ladies head's is formed by their hair taped up in a circle on
      the back of the head.
      http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html
      Then a caul is worn over the benda bun ( my term, since it's taped up with benda). I
      modified this pattern
      http://web.archive.org/web/20050805082946/http://costume.dm.net/headwear/
      caulmake.html
      to achieve the tiny perched on the back of the head cuffia that they were wearing at that
      time ( I stuffed my bun with a yarn braid that I have tacked place into the cuffia and use
      sewn in toupee clips to keep the thing on my head, as I haven't enough hair to anchor it
      properly).

      Because of the way the lady in pink's veil twists and the way the lady in blue's veil edge
      ruffles, I believe it is a triangle with the bias edge being the edge around her face. I did
      measure my veil from my shoulder, up over my head and back down to the other shoulder.
      I used this measurement as the hypotenous of a right triangle to make the pattern for the
      veil (translated - I whacked a triangular piece off the corner of my silk with the bias cut
      equalling the over the head measurement).
      I pinned the corner of the veil under the cuffia, but I am going to pin more of it under, to
      achieve the tidy, tucked in look in the picture.
      Hope this helps,
      Lucrezia

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix" <madeleinedelacroix@...>
      wrote:

      > http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor13.html
      >
      > In this pic, what exactly is the lady in the pink wearing, can any of
      > you tell..to me it looks like a triangular veil, with a caul, the lady
      > next to her just looks like she has a sheer scarf tied on her head..do
      > I have these right?? What is the best material to use for these
      > headcoverings??thanks..

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic