3590Re: [SCA-Milliners] Veil

  • Caitriona Campbell
    Jun 5, 2007
      It looks a lot like the head covering in the painting
      by Maerten Heemskerck shown in the Web Gallery of Art
      listed as Anna Codde, 1520. The "tails" of this one
      don't twist, but that may just be an artists license.
      Heemskerck has another painting called Family Portrait
      from 1530 that shows a simular head covering as well.
      All of them appear to be made of lightweight sheer
      material I took to be fine linen or possibly even silk
      for the more well to do. I haven't made any of these
      yet but it really doesn't look that difficult, and the
      long tails would give the option of wrapping and tying
      them around the head for the look of the other lady
      don't you think?

      Caitriona Campbell
      dedicated hat junkie

      --- Madeleine Delacroix <madeleinedelacroix@...>
      wrote:

      http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor13.html

      > In this pic, what exactly is the lady in the pink
      > wearing, can any of
      > you tell..to me it looks like a triangular veil,
      > with a caul, the lady
      > next to her just looks like she has a sheer scarf
      > tied on her head..do
      > I have these right?? What is the best material to
      > use for these
      > headcoverings??thanks..

      Caitriona, Karen, DragonLady
      (My personality trinity)