3589Re: Veil

    Jun 4, 2007
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
      <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

      > http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor13.html
      >
      > In this pic, what exactly is the lady in the pink wearing, can any of
      > you tell..to me it looks like a triangular veil, with a caul, the
      lady
      > next to her just looks like she has a sheer scarf tied on her
      head..do

      If you mean the lady in blue, she has on the same arrangement as the
      lady in pink, it's just shown from a different angle.

      Caul and triangular veil would give that look, but I just have a
      feeling that the triangular veil is a square veil folded diagonaly.

      I'm also thinking it could be another scarf wound around a bun rahter
      than a caul, you'd have to look at lots of similar pics or maybe find a
      view of the back of a sculpture to know for sure.

      > I have these right?? What is the best material to use for these
      > headcoverings??thanks..

      In period these would have probably been silk gauze, but you have to
      find the right weight of it. Too light and it flutteres around and
      tries to go up your nose when you breathe. It may also cling to your
      skin if it's too light and it's humid out. A little bit heavier or
      slightly stiffer will prevent this. Silk chiffon is usually too light
      for the same reasons.

      Avoid synthetics, they don't breathe and they can be too slippery.
      china silk is usually too slippery and I don't think it breathes well.
      A very fine Indian cotton gauze or voile would work, and an extremely
      fine (but who could afford it?) sheer linen could also work. A sheer
      wool gauze would also work, but it's nearly impossible to find.