3485Re: [SCA-Milliners] Elizabethan pillbox hats

  • Stephanie Reiley
    Mar 20, 2007
      Sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing
      your documentation. I love learning what other people have found. :)

      You don't happen to have an image of the hat they found at the Little
      Sampford Church in Essex, by any chance? It would be interesting to
      see what it looks like.

      It would be also interesting to see the Mary Queen of Scots and
      Marguerite de Valois portraits in larger scale so you could see more
      of the detail. Any idea what age Princess Marguerite was at the time
      of the portrait?

      Honestly, I can't see enough of the first "Unknown English lady" or
      Elizabeth I portraits to know what they may be wearing.

      I am willing to buy the argument that these might have evolved out of
      French hoods, especially looking at the shaping of the ones in the
      illustrations you provide.

      I think the 1575-80 Met portrait is probably the best argument I've
      seen for the pillbox-veil combination you frequently see in the SCA.
      I'll stash that away for the next time somebody asks about pillbox
      hats. Thank you!

      Selene (just some random thoughts pre-coffee)