3484Re: Elizabethan pillbox hats

  • borderlands15213
    Mar 18, 2007
      Would it have been seen in Paris in 1580?
      Well, that's not impossible. You can *always* explain something
      older. Right now the *fashion* in women's shoes is a lo-o-ng
      extremely pointed toe (remind you of a poulaine, anyone?) and a
      stiletto heel. Very unfashionable me doesn't wear them.
      After World War II, there were ladies who continued to wear cotton
      anklet socks *even though* nylon stockings were available and not
      rationed. (One friend of our family saved her nylon hosiery for going
      to church on Sunday, or for important social calls. Anklets the rest
      of the time.) Why? Well, they'd paid *money* for those cotton
      anklets and they were still good, still had useful wear in them, so
      they weren't going to be discarded. Same with the preceding years'
      round-toed, lower- or higher-heeled shoes. A lot of these post WWII
      "unfashionables" had come through the Great Depression and a number of
      them---I've known a number of them---*never* but *never, ever* got
      over the experience.
      Not an entirely bad perspective, either.
      They just didn't have a disposability mentality.
      One costuming laurel remarked in a documentation class she was
      presenting, "You can *always* explain something older."
      This is true of the hat.
      It doesn't have to be that your persona is in a "trickle down"
      eschelon of society and that she wouldn't have had access to a fashion
      until it was already at least ten years passe'. It may be that she
      likes it; it may be the thing was a very special gift and means a lot
      to her; it may be it was *precious* in the sense of have been a very
      expensive, very special gift given on a great occasion or representing
      a great love on the part of the person who gave it; she might have a
      number of reasons for wanting to keep it and wear it.
      Perhaps as time has gone on, she has found that the newer fashions
      aren't as becoming to her as this hat has continued to be. Maybe in
      all her life she'll never consider *any* other fashion to be as
      flattering to her as that brimless hat. Have you some piece of
      clothing, or some outfit, in which you feel sort of flawless and
      princessy and sexy, the quintessential woman? Well, there you are, then.
      It does seem likelier that one would have a new hat than a new gown,
      but that statement is based on presumed relative costs: I'm assuming
      that the new gown would cost more. And I could, of course, be all
      unknown to me talking through my hat...

      Yseult the Gentle

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
      <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

      > Ok, that's the hat..and I have seen it with the front taller, as well
      > as the same measurement all the way around. and like your page
      > says..it is seen less and less as the 16th century goes on..so, would
      > it still have been seen in Paris in 1580? I have no idea..

      <<<snipped>>>

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic