3333Re: OT-dickens-esque bonnet

    Oct 3, 2006
      If you know what its supposed to look like, then you are halfway
      there.

      For something like this, I would go to craft stores and thrift stores
      and try to find a straw hat that is close and then modify it. WHile
      it is unlikely that you will find an actual bonnet shape, you can
      probably fake it easily by cutting away the back of the brim and
      wiring or steaming what is left into shape.

      For quick and dirty, you can duct tape (or stitch) a straw hat along
      where you are going to cut it and then edge it with duct tape or even
      bias tape. You can also put wire in the edge before you tape over
      it. You can easily cover it with fabric and trim by using a low temp
      glue gun.

      Rashid

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "HL Melisenda Alix de la Croix"
      <MdmMalice1@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > This is way past period, but I am looking for some help. My mom's
      > choir is performing for Christmas and I zigged when I should have
      > zagged, so now I am making her outfit. And by November 17th.
      >
      > I am looking for information on creating the 1834-1840's bonnet.
      I've
      > found a web site that will sell me a pattern for it. But I'm
      hoping to
      > find information that won't cost me.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic