3274Re: broad-brimmed hats, WAS: 'ello all, could someone point me in the right dire

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Sep 7, 2006
      > Would a 16th C Englishman use ostrich though? I would have thought
      peacock, or pheasant, or some European bird would be easier to come by.

      That depends on their status. Ostridges where known of in Elizabethan
      England, and their feathers were higly prized. Now they would have no
      idea about emus as they are from your parts. (Is it just me, emus
      always remind me of rockstars having bad hair days)

      Here is a quote from Shakespeare

      http://birdsofbard.blogspot.com/2005/11/ostrich.html

      The white feathers when fighting would work to distract the opponent.
      If you were to use a cape, I'd suggest using contrasting light and
      dark exterior to lining for the same effect.

      > I have a feeling I've seen the broad-brimmed cavalier hats elsewhere
      > though... something is saying to me "Landsknecht!"
      >
      > Regards,
      > Rebecca

      I think your right.

      Donata Bonacorsi