3272broad-brimmed hats, WAS: 'ello all, could someone point me in the right direction

  • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
    Sep 6, 2006
      Donata Bonacorsi wrote:
      > If you use any search engine (like google or yahoo) and type in "hat
      > blanks" there are pages and pages of merchants that sell both sized
      > and unsized felt hat blanks. They vary in price and quality, fur felt
      > will last much longer than wool felt. The feathers I have seen used
      > with these are generally ostridge, again easy to find through google.

      Oh good, somebody knows... I'm in Australia, so not real good at helping people in the US find stuff...
      Would a 16th C Englishman use ostrich though? I would have thought peacock, or pheasant, or some European bird would be easier to come by.

      How about a flat cap? it is easy to sew and is commonly seen
      > with feathers. The one used for fighting could be made of lightweight
      > leather, with the added size for your helm the brim could be made a
      > bit larger.

      That's a good idea. Velvet with a strong lining would also work quite well I think, though both would be a bit floppier than felt.
      I have a feeling I've seen the broad-brimmed cavalier hats elsewhere though... something is saying to me "Landsknecht!"

      Regards,
      Rebecca
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic