3268RE: [SCA-Milliners] 'ello all, could someone point me in the right direction

  • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
    Sep 6 1:02 AM
      I would like to buy a great big one you know the kind where you
      > pin up one side and have one or two really long feathers sticking out
      > of it.

      hmmm... I don't know where you can buy one ready made, but keep an eye out in op shops, second-hand stores, and craft markets. Meanwhile, we are coming up to Halloween, so check in costume stores and the craft/costume sections of fabric places as well. Remember you can always pin the side up and add the feathers yourself.
      For making one, you'll probably want to buy a felt hat blank and shape it to the way you want it. Somebody else might be able to help there, I have never tried it.

      but the one i make will be fore wearing into
      > combat you see
      > i fight lights. i don't think i will be able to buy a hat big
      > enough to
      > fit on top of a fenceing helm <snip>

      If by fighting "light" you mean SCA rapier, then a fencing helm is ok.
      If you mean SCA combat archer, you need to check the new rules...
      Either way, keep in mind that you will probably need some way to secure the hat so it isn't able to come off unless you want it to.

      HTH,
      Rebecca
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic