3210Snood and the OED (long--was More on Catalan netted headdress)

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Jul 5, 2006
      My vote would be to use the term "gandalla" introduced with a
      description. I am not all that fond of the term "snood" and am all for
      introducing foreign language variations for terms into English. As for
      the definition of "snood", here is its entry in the Oxford English

      Donata Bonacorsi

      snood (snu:d), n. Forms: 1 snod, 6- (Sc. and north.) snude (9 sneud),
      7- snood (9 snoud); north. 8 snead, 9 sneiad; Sc. 9 snid, sneed, etc.
      [OE. snod, of obscure origin.]

      1. a. A fillet, band, or ribbon, for confining the hair; latterly,
      in Scotland (and the north of England), the distinctive hair-band worn
      by young unmarried women. More recently, a fashionable bag-like or
      closed woman's hairnet, usu. worn at the back of the head.

      c725 Corpus Gloss. (Hessels) C137 Cappa, snod. a1000 in Wr.-Wulcker
      204 Cinthium, mitra, snod. c1000 Aelfric Hom. II. 28 Tha laerde hi sum
      iudeisc man, thaet heo name aenne wernaegel..and becnytte to anum
      hringe mid hire snode. c1150 in Wr.-Wulcker 540 Uitta, snod.

      1535 Stewart Cron. Scot. I. 377 Ghone ma nocht saif thair bodie with
      ane snude. 1643 Orkney Witch Trial in Abbotsford Club Misc. I. 177 Ghe
      said vnto hir that ghe haid Vrsulla Alexanderis snood, quhilk ghe haid
      keipit since ghe put hir in hir winding sheit. 1677 Nicholson in
      Trans. R. Soc. Lit. (1870) IX. 319 Snude, a fillet, or hair lace. 1725
      Ramsay Gentle Sheph.

      ii. iv, The rashes green..Of which..For thee I plet the flow'ry belt
      and snood.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic