      Subject: Is it a snood?
      Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:34:25 +0200
      From: James C. Townsend <jamesc.townsend@...>

      Dear Cynthia Virtue:

      Thank you for your answer. Excuse me for not responding sooner

      My Collins English-Spanish dictionary translates 'snood' as 'cintillo'
      or 'redecilla', which comes close to what I think it is: a 'net', or
      'red' in Spanish, but not in Catalan. Wikepedia gives 'snood' as a
      19th-century invention.

      The online Alcover-Moll Catalan dictionary gives the Spanish
      translation as gandaya, red.

      I would be very grateful if you mentioned this in your on-line discussion.

      Briefly, the document I am translating is a 15th-century court case
      (entitled "El Cavaller i l'Alcavota" - The Knight and the Procuress,
      by Jaume Riera i Sans, a Hebrew scholar and archivist) in Barcelona in
      which a Catalan nobleman was caught, along with his procuress, for
      having sex with young girls. He sometimes bought them clothing, and
      clothes turn up in the text. This book was originally published in
      Catalan in 1973, and I am now translating it into English. I will
      acknowledge your help in the translator's forward when the book is
      published jointly by a Spanish-English publishing venture (Editorial
      Barcino-Tamesis).

      Would you mind terribly if I occasionally consulted you about words
      that refer to pieces of clothing?

      One word that pops up is 'cota' or 'cot' for some sort of dress or
      tunic the girls wore at that time. I have tentatively used 'coat', but
      that doesn't sound right. It's interesting to note that no one, except
      the upper classes, wore new clothes. There was a big market for
      second-hand clothing (many people died at the time from the plague, or
      'glànola', which I have translated as 'buboes'), sold by 'pellers',
      which I have translated as 'rag man'. Can you think of a better word?

      Another is 'aljube', which I think is a 'Moorish cloak'. Maybe I
      should leave it the same.

      Any suggestions?

      If you need any more information, please let me know.

      Thank you again

      Regards,

      James

      --
      James C. Townsend
      Carrer Major 80

      And then I wrote:

      Greetings!

      The headwear discussion list I mentioned hasn't turned up any responses
      yet, but as it is summer, some folks might be away.

      > Wikepedia gives 'snood' as a 19th-century invention.

      I believe Wikipedia is incorrect, depending on how narrowly it is
      defining the term "snood." As an example, one could call the shaped
      nets of the 1300s "snoods" see
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/easy_cauls.html for pictures. I know the
      Italian ladies were wearing a 'reticula' which was sort of a long
      hairnet, which started on the top and sides of the head and followed the
      hair down the back, covering a long braid.

      > I would be very grateful if you mentioned this in your on-line
      discussion.

      I will indeed!

      > Would you mind terribly if I occasionally consulted you about words
      > that refer to pieces of clothing?

      I would not mind at all, but I'm cautious because from a costuming
      standpoint, Spain had some very weird developments, and I expect that
      Catalan might be even stranger. It's not an area I know much about.

      > One word that pops up is 'cota' or 'cot' for some sort of dress or
      > tunic the girls wore at that time.

      This one I can help with. "Cote" or "coat" was used across much of
      Europe, and over centuries, to mean the main outer garment. We'd call
      it a dress, although they might have worn a few of these as layers
      depending on the weather. As such, it hasn't any specific cut, anymore
      than the term "dress" would tell you what sort of dress you're talking of.

      > It's interesting to note that no one, except
      > the upper classes, wore new clothes.

      I know that in England and France, sometimes a servant would be given a
      set of clothes yearly as part of his or her pay, but I don't know if it
      were hand-me-downs or not.

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

      "Love is friendship set on fire."
      -- Jeremy Taylor, ca. 1650
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic