3197Re: Trouble with sewing buckram - weird pattern?

  • m d b
    Jun 1, 2006
      > What I do is treat the buckram hat as a form to slip-cover, like
      upholstery.

      I do pretty much the same, though my latest effort required a lot
      more handsewing and, because I had to steam the buckram to create a
      rounder shape, I had to sew the outer layers seperately by hand and
      ease them over the curve.

      The fact it was covered in pearls and sequins was another issue:
      http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/2cleveshat.htm
      buckram base sewn together, felt padding cover, then lining and shell
      fabrics, all sewn on seperately.
      You can also see I "quilted" a layer of felt to a layer of buckram
      for the "lappets" which is another option for extra stability between
      those two layers.

      So perhaps you could machine the the two pieces of buckram, hand sew
      those together and make the outerlayer seperately. I would recommend
      a padding. You can tack the outerlayers to it to stop them twisting
      about for one.

      If you use a layer of felt inside and out you may find you only need
      one layer of backram anyway. I know how hard it can be to sew through
      two layers. I have bent a few needles on the above project;)

      Willemyne van Nymegen/Michaela de Bruce
      http://glittersweet.com
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic