3184Re: question on balzos

    May 2, 2006
      The problem with fabric stiffener is that it's a lot like papier
      mache. but made with fabric. Its rather rigid and doesn't have much
      resiliance. If the hat gets whacked or sat upon, or your luggage
      shifts, or perhaps even if it is dropped, it may be to damaged hold
      it's shape.

      Rashid

      -- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
      <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

      > This is the site I found from this group's links....and I also
      thank
      > Eleanor for the link for purchasing flat reed.....one of my friends
      > suggested I use fabric stiffener and cheesecloth formed on a
      > ballloon. She says it dries hard enough to support a fabric
      > covering. I know this isn't "period", but I probably will only
      wear
      > this hat once since my persona is Irish....do you think her idea
      > would work?
      >
      > Thanks again,
      >
      > Fionnghuala
      >

      > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, <danabren@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Have you looked at Mistress Damiana's site on Balzos?
      > >
      > > http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/balzo-new.htm
      > >
      > > Danabren
      > >
      > > >I need to create a balzo....I searched the links on this group
      > and
      > > >found one to a site by Elizabeth Jones on making a base out of
      > flat
      > > >reed....I have no source for reed and was wondering if I could
      > use
      > > >plastic boning instead....I assume that once the base is made I
      > would
      > > >make a "bag" to cover it and then use pins or combs to attach it
      > to my
      > > >head (after I put my hair up in a bun)...does this sound
      > plausible?
      > > >Thanks for your help....Fionnghuala

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic