2952Re: Re: [SCA-Milliners] Funky Fillets

  • danabren@verizon.net
    Nov 20, 2005
      Sorry it's taken so long for me to answer here, trying to catch up...

      >> Funky Fillets 3 St. Louis with Margaret of Provence,
      >> I'm looking here at those three holes in the front of the fillet.
      >
      >There aren't a lot of pictures of a regular veil over a fillet, so I'd
      >approach this one with a bit of caution, plus of course she's a saint,
      >so caution there, too.

      The Walters Art Galery in Baltimore has a portrait head from a tomb of a noblewoman wearing a veil over a smooth fillet and barbette, with traces of hair showing at a natural hairline, unlike the saint here (who has an expression remarkably like Uta of the Nurenberg Cathedral, delightfully enough). It may have been a short-lived fashion, but there are several examples floating around.

      Also, regarding the previous image, there are several examples of caps/fillets referred to as "fluted" by Davenport, with the apparent "shaped ring". I tend to think it's a combination of sculptors choice and the stiffening of the linen into careful creases before wearing.

      http://baronmorgan.gallowglass.org/articles/cna07_plantaganetcap.html has a few of the images I'm referring to, simply awful views but you can get the basic idea.

      >> Funky Fillets 4 Tomb of Knight Templar,
      >> My husband says the ring around his head is to help hold the pot helm on. Is
      >> he correct? Does this have any relation to the women's fillet?
      >
      >...or it's a turban, to show he'd been to the Holy Land. I'd have to
      >know more about the Templars from that time period. It doesn't look
      >like it's a filet-relation to me, though; too stuffed looking.

      Or padding for his helm. What Cynthia said - don't think it's a fillet. I've worn a helmet on the field, you can't tell me that they went out unpadded! lol

      I'm withholding judgement on the first image; while I don't necessarily agree that the wrapping depicts bandages, I'd like to see a few more examples of the style, or at least get a larger view of the sculpture itself for more context.

      Those zany French and their fashion sense!
      Danabren

      Borges sumus. Resistere inutile est.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic