2928Funky Fillets

  • Kristine Elliott
    Nov 3, 2005
      As you may have realized, I am focussing on fillets these days. I picked up
      a new art book the other day and saw some fillets details I hadn't seen
      before. I thought I would share them with you. I put them in the Files
      section in the Cateline folder. I am also sharing my thoughts and questions.
       Thanks.

      Funky Fillets 1 The Massacre of the Innocents, North Transcept, Notre Dame,
      Paris, middle 13th century p. 32 Hogstaetter, Hans H., Art of the Late
      Middle Ages, NY: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. 1968.

      Here, the fillets as well as the barbettes appear to be wrapped, and have
      been made deliberately wider to wrinkle when wrapped. Is that what you see?
      Do you think that there is any stiffening in the fillets? For the life of
      me, I can't decide if there is bare hair under the fillet and barbette or
      another layer there covering the hair.

      Funky Fillets 2 Resurrection of the Dead on Judgement Day, cathedral of St.
      Etienne, Bourges, c 1270-80 p. 34 Hogstaetter, Hans H., Art of the Late
      Middle Ages, NY: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. 1968.

      Fillet seems to be composed of a ring of flat surfaces rather than a smooth
      cylinder. Do you think this represents a different method or material for
      the fillet or is it just some kind of artifact of the sculptor's method?

      Funky Fillets 3 St. Louis with Margaret of Provence, end of 13th or
      beginning of 14th century, p 111 Hogstaetter, Hans H., Art of the Late
      Middle Ages, NY: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. 1968.

      I'm looking here at those three holes in the front of the fillet. My first
      thought was that those were to aid the attachment of a crown or crown-like
      decoration to the sculpture. My second thought was that in that case surely
      the veil wouldn't be overlaying the crown on the sides and the back. What do
      you think?

      Funky Fillets 4 Tomb of Knight Templar, Temple Church London, c1250. P. 48
      Hogstaetter, Hans H., Art of the Late Middle Ages, NY: Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
      1968.

      My husband says the ring around his head is to help hold the pot helm on. Is
      he correct? Does this have any relation to the women's fillet?

      Cateline

      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty more
      than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than the truth."
      Rep. Christopher Shays.