Re: martha ballard

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2000
      > I am the only person I know who read the book instead of watching the
      >video. I suspect they were both good, with slightly different emphases.
      >If anyone figures out what "coldroot" is (she repeatedly reports going
      >out to dig it), please share!

      I read the book after watching the video. I think you are right; the video
      has much more sidelight material, while the book is (obviously) more
      of the primary source. Both are delightful. One thing to look for in the
      book is the infant/maternal mortality comparisons-- these are very useful
      for thinking about medieval midwives and post-partum and infant mortality.

      disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

      "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
      subject." -- Sir Winston Churchill