Re: herbal column

  • DeeWolff@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 1999
      What about harvesting and drying herbs for Yule Season stuff? This is when we
      do it.
      Uses of herbs in oils, pickling, canning,etc.
      Cooling teas for the hot summner we have been having,

      Hope this helps,
      Andrea
    • atbrooks
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 15, 1999
        Roberta R Comstock wrote:

        > From: Roberta R Comstock <froggestow@...>
        >
        > How about some recipes for the bountiful harvest of garden veggies,
        > herbal blends for cooking, herb flavored vinegars, decorative herbs for
        > the kitchen or holidays? Or perhaps a review of some books on historic
        > herbals or garden history?
        >
        > Hertha Blair of Froggestow
        > Calontir

        > Having difficulty getting "in synch" with list members?
        > http://www.onelist.com
        > Try ONElist's Shared Calendar to organize events, meetings and more!

        Thank you, I have done the vinegars, but never had I thought of a review of
        my books. What an amazing idea. Take care, god bless.
        Lady Isabella
      • Marcy Wilfon
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 1999
          To Lady Isabella, Greetings
          You may have used these ideas previously but... What about solid perfumes
          from flowers such as lavender or potpourri from the garden also known
          perhaps as strewing herbs Good Luck!

          Hlaefdige Brihtwynn aet Cwenengrafa

          >From: atbrooks@...
          >To: SCA-Herbalist@onelist.com
          >Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] herbal column
          >Date: 13 Aug 1999 14:21:48 -0000
          >
          >From: atbrooks@...
          >
          >Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
          >I have been writing an article for our local news letter
          >"the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
          >I try to keep my articles seasonal.
          >I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
          >I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come up dry.
          >Any suggestions?
          >Thanks
          >Isabella

          >Congratulations IM-USA, our latest ONElist of the week.
          >For full story and to submit yours,

        • Robin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999
            At 02:21 PM 8/13/99 +0000, you wrote:
            >From: atbrooks@...
            >
            >Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
            >I have been writing an article for our local news letter
            >"the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
            >I try to keep my articles seasonal.
            >I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
            >I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come up dry.
            Any suggestions?
            >Thanks
            >Isabella

            I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, but,
            would you be willing to share any of your articles here?
            Might generate some discussion...

            Good luck with your article.

            Tamarra N. of Archangel
          • Laurie Clarkston
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 2000
              --- In SCA-Herbalist@egroups.com, atbrooks@... wrote:
              > Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
              > I have been writing an article for our local news letter
              > "the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
              > I try to keep my articles seasonal.
              > I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
              > I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come
              up dry. Any suggestions?
              > Thanks
              > Isabella

              Isabella,
              I write an article for my scottish clan newsletter on garden
              folklore. When I started doing this, I felt like the articles were
              missing that sparkle or whatever it is that draws you in.

              Then one day I started my articles out with what was growning in my
              garden, or how the weather has effected the area, and then the
              articles took on a personal feel; kinda like I was writing a letter
              to a friend. After the intro part, I let the readers know about the
              plant, like, what is its name in gaelic, does it flower, where can it
              grow, how will it do in the landscape and general garden growing
              information. I will list some of its medicinal uses and how it was
              used in cooking. Then the fun stuff comes in. All of these plants I
              write about have a little folklore and or superstition to them.

              I am now taking this research and converting it into a talk on Garden
              folklore. So far, I have given a talk to a local garden group, and
              next month I am scheduled to do a series of presentations to my local
              SCA group. Kinda nervous on this one!

              My articles became more interesting and fun when I made them more
              personal. When I did that, some of the responses from people were
              they were going to go out and buy that species of tree or shrub.

              I will tell you that researching plant folklore is very hard only
              because the information is so limited. But it is very interesting and
              a lot of fun to talk about.

              I don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope this helps you get
              rid of your writers block.

              Take care,
              Cairistiona de Coueran