Mastic foliage, berries

  • Galefridus Peregrinus
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
      Time for a seriously long shot request, folks --

      So I've been reviewing a bunch of Roman-era olive cures, and I find that very many of them call for foliage and/or berries from the mastic shrub (Pistacia lentiscus), doing so in such casual terms as to indicate that every Roman farm had a bunch these shrubs available to work with. I've done a bit of research and found that the shrub is grown as an ornamental in the American Southwest. I'm wondering whether any in this illustrious group might (1) have access to the shrub, (2) be willing to sell, barter, or otherwise bargain for some of it, and (3) throw some in a box and shipmit to northern NJ.

      -- Galefridus
    • jack hollandbeck
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
        Galefridus,

        Hail and happy steins! What a coincidence. I live in Arizona which is in the Southwest of the US. Another coincidence is that I am leaving soon so your's may be a last request. Give me a bit and I will check with my nursery. Also, I am VERY interested in Roman medicine. That is part of my research. I sounds like you have stumbled on a bunch of home remedies. I will happily take all your research! lol Sheesh you made my day. Let me check.

        Jack

        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
          Thank you for your reply, and I will appreciate anything you can do to locate mastic twigs and berries. But I think that I need to clarify something: "olive cures" means means "methods of pickling and preserving olives." It's not herbal medicine, except in the more limited sense that as a food, olives bear a certain of humoural characteristics that that can positive and negative effects on persons of differing temperaments.

          -- Galefridus

          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
            G,

            That's cool. Pickling is good. I will see what I can do tomorrow. Twigs and berries of the mastic plant.

            Jack

            To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

            From: galefridus@...
            Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:59:47 -0400