Re: [SCA-Herbalist] strewing herbs?

  • Marilyn Crowley
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
      I had a similar situation a few years back and because where I lived also did not have a laundry mat and my dryer just didn't get hot enough to kill any eggs I was recommended by my vet at the time to use the diatomaceous earth and to bag all my bedding in plastic garbage bags but seal them with duct tape for 2 weeks also to sprinkle some DE in with them as well because after the DE has killed any live fleas any new hatchlings would be starved off and or contact with the DE...I put all my pillows into the plastic allergen covers and sealed them with duct tape as well s I was able to still use them while I was killing off the buggers....and my bed I purchased the same sort of allergen cover...the one that is like a super sized pillow case and again duct taped as well as DE on it.....my couches etc I dusted with DE especially under the cushions and the underside of the furniture you can try putting the strewing herbs between the allergy cover and the regular bed sheet to help discourage them and until the situation is remedied I would recommend not using any bedding that has stuffing in it like comforters and quilts they give the fleas a good hiding and nesting spots so regular blankets and if possible each day remove them from your bed when you wake up and bag them to discourage hiding in there...

      I understand how much of a pain it is but it is worth it...I would get hives and welts from flea bites so it can be quite irritating....and insufferable as well.

      Best of luck with this also you may want to see if the landlord would have a pest person inspect the entire building because you may be repeatedly getting an infestation from them because of neighbors and not anyone thing in your home itself....

      YIS
      Kolfinna

    • Galefridus Peregrinus
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
        Time for a seriously long shot request, folks --

        So I've been reviewing a bunch of Roman-era olive cures, and I find that very many of them call for foliage and/or berries from the mastic shrub (Pistacia lentiscus), doing so in such casual terms as to indicate that every Roman farm had a bunch these shrubs available to work with. I've done a bit of research and found that the shrub is grown as an ornamental in the American Southwest. I'm wondering whether any in this illustrious group might (1) have access to the shrub, (2) be willing to sell, barter, or otherwise bargain for some of it, and (3) throw some in a box and shipmit to northern NJ.

        -- Galefridus
      • jack hollandbeck
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
          Galefridus,

          Hail and happy steins! What a coincidence. I live in Arizona which is in the Southwest of the US. Another coincidence is that I am leaving soon so your's may be a last request. Give me a bit and I will check with my nursery. Also, I am VERY interested in Roman medicine. That is part of my research. I sounds like you have stumbled on a bunch of home remedies. I will happily take all your research! lol Sheesh you made my day. Let me check.

          Jack

          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
            Thank you for your reply, and I will appreciate anything you can do to locate mastic twigs and berries. But I think that I need to clarify something: "olive cures" means means "methods of pickling and preserving olives." It's not herbal medicine, except in the more limited sense that as a food, olives bear a certain of humoural characteristics that that can positive and negative effects on persons of differing temperaments.

            -- Galefridus

            To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
              G,

              That's cool. Pickling is good. I will see what I can do tomorrow. Twigs and berries of the mastic plant.

              Jack

              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

              From: galefridus@...
              Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:59:47 -0400