Re: [SCA-Herbalist] strewing herbs?

  • Lady Biya
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
      I had an exterminator come over.  He found NO SIGNS of bed bugs.  I've also plucked some off my body.  tiny, black, about 1 mm long.

      bed bugs are round in shape and red.

      Absolutely fleas.

      The fleas jump from the floor to me sleeping.  They've also laid their eggs all over my bedding.

      I am the only mammal in my home and therefore the only food supply for them.  They don't come near my cockatoo.
    • Hope Bryant
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
        Bedbugs are not always red, although the brownish caprice is red tinged. I've had them. I've fought a never-ending battle with them for over 3 years. FINALLY I managed to get away from them, and I have nightmares about finding them in the place I live now. If I could eradicate them to the last I would (I'm suffering from skin conditions now because of them).

        Well do I know. GR.

        The babies (newly hatched) are clear. They go through several molting stages. The eggs are almost indestructible which is why you have to work on /repeated/ attempts to get rid of them so you kill them /as/ they hatch.  You have to get them before they molt to the point of breeding. Breeding adults can be very large (bigger then tick) and have a tick-shaped body (but look "armored" rather then smooth). They are flatter too until they feed, then they look like fat fleas.

        Bed bugs and fleas bite in a similar way as well (cluster of three) so often it's hard to determine if it's flea of bed bug until one is caught.

        Fleas are longer, thinner, more oblong (not round) and are more "upright" rather then laying flat the way a tick or bed bug can. They are black.

        Fleas (I have a dog and cat that are indoor-outdoors so that's my current nuisance) are a pain but can be managed.

        Diatimaceous earth can be dangerous to breath in. There are two types. You want the food grade stuff, not the garden grade stuff. If you breath it in you could cause serious damage to your lungs (called siliceous). Paper face masks won't help because the particles are so small. You need a special small particle face mask. However it is the BEST natural cure-all for both kinds of bugs. It's made of the ancient remains of diatoms ground to a fine powder.

        There are toxins out there made of chrysanthemums that seem to work, as it attacks the carapace and eats away at it. But this needs to be applied more regularly. Some carpet cleaners out there for pets have D.E. in them. Look for it. :) They have other ingredients to help reduce the "float" of dust particles.

        --
      • Lady Biya
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
          The DE I ordered is supposed to arrive tomorrow based on tracking.  I threw out my rug and put my expensive sound dampening rug pad into a sealed garbage pad with either rosemary or basil in it.  So it's now to just lineoleum.

          I also now have some clear dawn dish soap.

          Someone told me at the store that dawn in water mopped under the bed and around and sprayed on my linens works really well?

          Is there some way to apply the DE in my bedroom safely?  I have a cockatoo (her room is separate) and I don't want to hurt her.

          Should I put it down with the windows open perhaps?

          --

          --Laurel A. Rockefeller
          Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy

        • Marilyn Crowley
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
            I had a similar situation a few years back and because where I lived also did not have a laundry mat and my dryer just didn't get hot enough to kill any eggs I was recommended by my vet at the time to use the diatomaceous earth and to bag all my bedding in plastic garbage bags but seal them with duct tape for 2 weeks also to sprinkle some DE in with them as well because after the DE has killed any live fleas any new hatchlings would be starved off and or contact with the DE...I put all my pillows into the plastic allergen covers and sealed them with duct tape as well s I was able to still use them while I was killing off the buggers....and my bed I purchased the same sort of allergen cover...the one that is like a super sized pillow case and again duct taped as well as DE on it.....my couches etc I dusted with DE especially under the cushions and the underside of the furniture you can try putting the strewing herbs between the allergy cover and the regular bed sheet to help discourage them and until the situation is remedied I would recommend not using any bedding that has stuffing in it like comforters and quilts they give the fleas a good hiding and nesting spots so regular blankets and if possible each day remove them from your bed when you wake up and bag them to discourage hiding in there...

            I understand how much of a pain it is but it is worth it...I would get hives and welts from flea bites so it can be quite irritating....and insufferable as well.

            Best of luck with this also you may want to see if the landlord would have a pest person inspect the entire building because you may be repeatedly getting an infestation from them because of neighbors and not anyone thing in your home itself....

            YIS
            Kolfinna

          • Galefridus Peregrinus
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
              Time for a seriously long shot request, folks --

              So I've been reviewing a bunch of Roman-era olive cures, and I find that very many of them call for foliage and/or berries from the mastic shrub (Pistacia lentiscus), doing so in such casual terms as to indicate that every Roman farm had a bunch these shrubs available to work with. I've done a bit of research and found that the shrub is grown as an ornamental in the American Southwest. I'm wondering whether any in this illustrious group might (1) have access to the shrub, (2) be willing to sell, barter, or otherwise bargain for some of it, and (3) throw some in a box and shipmit to northern NJ.

              -- Galefridus
            • jack hollandbeck
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                Galefridus,

                Hail and happy steins! What a coincidence. I live in Arizona which is in the Southwest of the US. Another coincidence is that I am leaving soon so your's may be a last request. Give me a bit and I will check with my nursery. Also, I am VERY interested in Roman medicine. That is part of my research. I sounds like you have stumbled on a bunch of home remedies. I will happily take all your research! lol Sheesh you made my day. Let me check.

                Jack

                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                  Thank you for your reply, and I will appreciate anything you can do to locate mastic twigs and berries. But I think that I need to clarify something: "olive cures" means means "methods of pickling and preserving olives." It's not herbal medicine, except in the more limited sense that as a food, olives bear a certain of humoural characteristics that that can positive and negative effects on persons of differing temperaments.

                  -- Galefridus

                  To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                    G,

                    That's cool. Pickling is good. I will see what I can do tomorrow. Twigs and berries of the mastic plant.

                    Jack

                    To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                    From: galefridus@...
                    Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:59:47 -0400