RE: [SCA-Herbalist] strewing herbs?

  • Ségnat ingen Fháeláin
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013

      I actually have a post about his on my much neglected SCA type blog.  http://segnatssojourns.blogspot.com/2013/01/medieval-herbal-advice-for-todays.html

      I have four children and two dogs and we’ve always used strewing herbs to keep pests at bay around the house.

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 5, 2013
        Fleas are pervasive - nasty little bugs. Make sure you not only get under furniture while vacuuming but under cushions in couches, etc, if you use the D.E put it everywhere.

        If your vacuum has a beater bar use that the vibrations & heat are what cause the eggs to hatch, so you want to heat and vacuum those suckers up and dispose of quickly. I am all for natural treatments but when it comes to fleas, its often best to use the strongest stuff that won't harm you and your pet...birds have very different needs then cats and dogs so check with your local bird store before using some flea products!

        A flea infestation almost killed my cat a few years ago, since then I did get everything under control and sadly use the strong chemicals on her because the natural products didn't help her, and I could never watch her go through that again.

        best of luck, be persistant, and keeping cleaning even when you think they are all gone.

        Máirghréad

        Don’t take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive -Elbert Hubbard

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 7, 2013

          Diatomaceous earth is safe to use, it's not a poison. I've had it around cats, dogs, birds and reptiles. The only thing it harms is creatures with exoskeletons as it causes them lots of scratches that makes them vulnerable to infection. I scatter it around my house to destroy those already coming in, but I also mix it with herbs to deter new ones from entering. I know Tansy, lavender, penny royal, marigold, basil, parsley and rue are the ones I use, but not all of them are to focus on fleas since I have to worry about ticks, mosquitoes and white flies too. I make this mix (a lot of it) and scatter it around after I do a deep cleaning so that it gets back into the cracks and crevasses of my floor and windows and doorways, under cushions, between mattress and box springs, under furniture,.. pretty much until the scent of the herbs pervades my house (it's actually kind of nice) I wrap the extra of the mix in a cloth bag and keep that inside a baggie so I can get it out and sort of daub it anywhere that I think may become a problem until it's the next time to deep clean and scatter the stuff around Also rub it into my pets' fur whenever they come home with a case of "gotta scratch" as it's safer for them than the flea shampoo from the store. If I actually SEE the fleas on them I will give them a bath starting from the head down to drown/wash the fleas off of them and squash them as they come off. I try to avoid the chemicals until it's a last resort, but occasionally it is necessary, especially when we have a bad year around where I live to where even having the plants on my steps and around the edge of the house or the herbs doesn't deter the darn things.

          I think I've heard of wormwood being a good deterrent to fleas and snakes too... also be aware that DE doesn't just harm fleas, but also the three major predators of said fleas, that being ants, spiders and ground beetles.

        • Marta McCarthy
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 8, 2013
            Ségnat,

            That is a lovely blog.  Thanks for sharing it!
            Isabella

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 8, 2013
              Just an update:

              I threw out my rug and bagged the noise rug pad.  so I'm back to a lineoleum floor.

              Discovering that without a washing machine, washing bedding does no good because I guess the point is to physically remove the fleas and eggs from the fabric.

              Putting down boric acid.  I ordered some dimetrious earth (spelling?) on amazon yesterday.  I also ordered some lavender shampoo and body wash.  Will be at least a week before that can arrive.  I don't drive due to low vision issues and there are no places that sell any of this that I can get to.  Same problem with laundry mat access.  No public laundrymats in my town.

              Putting some lavender and eucalyptus oils on my sheets, but I find that doesn't stop the fleas from coming up and biting me at night (why not?).

              Put out a soap water trap.  didn't work.

              I think my neighbor's incessant booming music has to be making this worse.  I read that vacuuming stimulates the eggs to hatch.  Okay, so I am not vacuuming 6x per day.  But isn't the apartment shaking from the neighbor (landlord doesn't care because he pays his rent) stimulating them too?

              Exterminator came out thursday but kept insisting I could not have fleas; didn't care how much I researched whatever or what I described.  He spraying a little something, but I am not sure it does any good.

              Ideas?

              --Laurel A. Rockefeller
              Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
              E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
              ISBN: 9781476243344
              Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
              ISBN 9781479144808

            • Dianna

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                  I had an exterminator come over.  He found NO SIGNS of bed bugs.  I've also plucked some off my body.  tiny, black, about 1 mm long.

                  bed bugs are round in shape and red.

                  Absolutely fleas.

                  The fleas jump from the floor to me sleeping.  They've also laid their eggs all over my bedding.

                  I am the only mammal in my home and therefore the only food supply for them.  They don't come near my cockatoo.
                • Hope Bryant
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                    Bedbugs are not always red, although the brownish caprice is red tinged. I've had them. I've fought a never-ending battle with them for over 3 years. FINALLY I managed to get away from them, and I have nightmares about finding them in the place I live now. If I could eradicate them to the last I would (I'm suffering from skin conditions now because of them).

                    Well do I know. GR.

                    The babies (newly hatched) are clear. They go through several molting stages. The eggs are almost indestructible which is why you have to work on /repeated/ attempts to get rid of them so you kill them /as/ they hatch.  You have to get them before they molt to the point of breeding. Breeding adults can be very large (bigger then tick) and have a tick-shaped body (but look "armored" rather then smooth). They are flatter too until they feed, then they look like fat fleas.

                    Bed bugs and fleas bite in a similar way as well (cluster of three) so often it's hard to determine if it's flea of bed bug until one is caught.

                    Fleas are longer, thinner, more oblong (not round) and are more "upright" rather then laying flat the way a tick or bed bug can. They are black.

                    Fleas (I have a dog and cat that are indoor-outdoors so that's my current nuisance) are a pain but can be managed.

                    Diatimaceous earth can be dangerous to breath in. There are two types. You want the food grade stuff, not the garden grade stuff. If you breath it in you could cause serious damage to your lungs (called siliceous). Paper face masks won't help because the particles are so small. You need a special small particle face mask. However it is the BEST natural cure-all for both kinds of bugs. It's made of the ancient remains of diatoms ground to a fine powder.

                    There are toxins out there made of chrysanthemums that seem to work, as it attacks the carapace and eats away at it. But this needs to be applied more regularly. Some carpet cleaners out there for pets have D.E. in them. Look for it. :) They have other ingredients to help reduce the "float" of dust particles.

                    --
                  • Lady Biya
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                      The DE I ordered is supposed to arrive tomorrow based on tracking.  I threw out my rug and put my expensive sound dampening rug pad into a sealed garbage pad with either rosemary or basil in it.  So it's now to just lineoleum.

                      I also now have some clear dawn dish soap.

                      Someone told me at the store that dawn in water mopped under the bed and around and sprayed on my linens works really well?

                      Is there some way to apply the DE in my bedroom safely?  I have a cockatoo (her room is separate) and I don't want to hurt her.

                      Should I put it down with the windows open perhaps?

                      --

                      --Laurel A. Rockefeller
                      Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
                      E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
                      ISBN: 9781476243344
                      Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
                      ISBN 9781479144808

                    • Marilyn Crowley
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                        I had a similar situation a few years back and because where I lived also did not have a laundry mat and my dryer just didn't get hot enough to kill any eggs I was recommended by my vet at the time to use the diatomaceous earth and to bag all my bedding in plastic garbage bags but seal them with duct tape for 2 weeks also to sprinkle some DE in with them as well because after the DE has killed any live fleas any new hatchlings would be starved off and or contact with the DE...I put all my pillows into the plastic allergen covers and sealed them with duct tape as well s I was able to still use them while I was killing off the buggers....and my bed I purchased the same sort of allergen cover...the one that is like a super sized pillow case and again duct taped as well as DE on it.....my couches etc I dusted with DE especially under the cushions and the underside of the furniture you can try putting the strewing herbs between the allergy cover and the regular bed sheet to help discourage them and until the situation is remedied I would recommend not using any bedding that has stuffing in it like comforters and quilts they give the fleas a good hiding and nesting spots so regular blankets and if possible each day remove them from your bed when you wake up and bag them to discourage hiding in there...

                        I understand how much of a pain it is but it is worth it...I would get hives and welts from flea bites so it can be quite irritating....and insufferable as well.

                        Best of luck with this also you may want to see if the landlord would have a pest person inspect the entire building because you may be repeatedly getting an infestation from them because of neighbors and not anyone thing in your home itself....

                        YIS
                        Kolfinna

                      • Galefridus Peregrinus
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                          Time for a seriously long shot request, folks --

                          So I've been reviewing a bunch of Roman-era olive cures, and I find that very many of them call for foliage and/or berries from the mastic shrub (Pistacia lentiscus), doing so in such casual terms as to indicate that every Roman farm had a bunch these shrubs available to work with. I've done a bit of research and found that the shrub is grown as an ornamental in the American Southwest. I'm wondering whether any in this illustrious group might (1) have access to the shrub, (2) be willing to sell, barter, or otherwise bargain for some of it, and (3) throw some in a box and shipmit to northern NJ.

                          -- Galefridus
                        • jack hollandbeck
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                            Galefridus,

                            Hail and happy steins! What a coincidence. I live in Arizona which is in the Southwest of the US. Another coincidence is that I am leaving soon so your's may be a last request. Give me a bit and I will check with my nursery. Also, I am VERY interested in Roman medicine. That is part of my research. I sounds like you have stumbled on a bunch of home remedies. I will happily take all your research! lol Sheesh you made my day. Let me check.

                            Jack

                            To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                              Thank you for your reply, and I will appreciate anything you can do to locate mastic twigs and berries. But I think that I need to clarify something: "olive cures" means means "methods of pickling and preserving olives." It's not herbal medicine, except in the more limited sense that as a food, olives bear a certain of humoural characteristics that that can positive and negative effects on persons of differing temperaments.

                              -- Galefridus

                              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                                G,

                                That's cool. Pickling is good. I will see what I can do tomorrow. Twigs and berries of the mastic plant.

                                Jack

                                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                                From: galefridus@...
                                Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:59:47 -0400