Re: [SCA-Herbalist] strewing herbs?

  • Amy Provost
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013
      Diatomaceous earth under carpets and in floor crevices will help.  Also, stick a piece of a flea collar inside your vacuum bag to eliminate that as a breeding area.  Best strewing herbs for fleas are lavender and rosemary

      On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Lady Biya <aisinbiya@...> wrote:

      Could someone please explain strewing herbs and how use them?

      I have never owned a cat or dog; I'm a parrot lady.  So FLEAS is a foreign idea to me.

      However, for the last four days, it appears my bedroom and my bed is now flea infested.  I've been up for three hours after my first sleep after receiving several painful bites.

      Bed bugs were eliminated; I was able to talk to a zoologist member of the Known World Aviculturists Guild from Midrealms who told me these are absolutely FLEAS.

      I do not think I've ever received flea bites before.  I'm allergic to ALL insects, hence why I cannot fall back asleep.  My entire body is on fire and itching.

      Any ideas would be helpful.  I heard rosemary can help?

      Anything I can do to put a physical barrier between me and the fleas so I can sleep?

      the itching on my body is spreading.

      www.crookedwall.org
      www.bthumbstudios.com
    • Marta McCarthy
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013
        Your best bet is diatomaceous earth.  You can purchase it at any garden store.  I think either Horizon or Johnny's Seeds has it also.  About $12 for 4 lbs.--stuff is like flour, but very light.  Easy to spread with a flour sifter--be sure you only use it for the DE afterwards!!!   It does not harm anyone but those little buggers that have exoskeletons.  They cannot become immune to it as it is a physical destruction, as it pokes holes in their little carapaces.  I have been hearing that fleas are a big problem nowadays even to people that do not own pets.

        Just spread the DE on all carpets, then vacuum.  You can also spread it around the outside of your home as a barrier.  Although rain washes it out, you just reapply.  I believe that the directions are on the bag.  It also kills red ants (the bane of Florida!)  I just got some last weekend after a similar problem, although I have a cat and a dog.  Seems to be working.

        Strewing herbs are lovely, and can work as a deterrent, but this is serious stuff, particularly if you are allergic.

        Hope this helps.
        Isabella

        --

      • Ceara/Kimberley
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013
          I have to agree with the others who recommend that you avail yourself of modern flea-killing methods, especially since you are so allergic. Once the emergency is over, you can implement historic methods to ward them off, including strewing herbs. I have found cedar shavings (sold in pet/feed stores) to be effective at repelling fleas, and it smells good. There are also solutions you can make of essential oils to spray on carpet and bedding.

          Best of luck and health to you!
          Ceara

          "People with strong intrinsic values must cease to be embarrassed by them. We should argue for the policies we want not on the grounds of expediency but on the grounds that they are empathetic and kind; and against others on the grounds that they are selfish and cruel. In asserting our values we become the change we want to see."
          George Monbiot, "The Values of Everything"
        • aelfwynmarie
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013
            Great thought on the flea collar piece! There is always that bit you have to cut off on a new collar and this is a nice way to not waste it.

            ---- Amy Provost <sparrowhawk9@...> wrote:
            > Diatomaceous earth under carpets and in floor crevices will help. Also,
            > stick a piece of a flea collar inside your vacuum bag to eliminate that as
            > a breeding area. Best strewing herbs for fleas are lavender and rosemary

          • aisinbiya
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013
              My vacuum is bagless. When I vaccumed this morning around my bed and as far under it as i could (not one of those models that can get under furniture, i dumped the canister into a small trash bag, closed it as tight as I could, then put it outside in the outdoor trash can which I covered tightly.

              I was able to take the upholstry attachment and go over the mattress pad (it's one of those good ones that prevents staining, so it has a water barrier to it) really well. strewed some lavender on that, then put on a clean bottom sheet.

              On that I sprinkled some eucalyptus oil which I understand fleas also hate and started the process of handwashing the sheet set that was on my bed overnight. But with just a shower curtain rod, a towel rod, and a metal drying rack, I cannot get too much done at once. There are no laundry mats in my area at all.

              Any tips for keeping them off ME? I'm not putting on a flea collar!
            • Lady Biya
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013
                well the landlord was called this morning.  Allegedly Orkin should be coming tomorrow.  I assume a professional exterminator will have whatever modern methods work best?

                They did tell me they don't do foggers for fleas anymore.  But as I have a cockatiel and her cage has to be disassembled to move (it weighs over 150 lbs and this is a split level apartment), I wouldn't want a fogger that could get into her cage and cause problems.

                --

              • Ségnat ingen Fháeláin
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013

                  I actually have a post about his on my much neglected SCA type blog.  http://segnatssojourns.blogspot.com/2013/01/medieval-herbal-advice-for-todays.html

                  I have four children and two dogs and we’ve always used strewing herbs to keep pests at bay around the house.

                  Could someone please explain strewing herbs and how use them?

                • Duke Jason
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 4, 2013

                    Pool supplies [Leslies, box stores] have 50 pound bags, not expensive at all in quantity. Another item is baby powder [the remnants after baby oil is made?] also breaks down the fleas.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 5, 2013
                        If a household has pets, don't just get any diatomaceous earth, make sure you get food grade. It is safe if accidentally ingested and sold at farm supply stores (it is used to treat stables and barns).

                        Essential oil that repels should be fine for body use. Use as a bath oil.

                        Aquilina

                        On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Duke Jason <duke_jason@...> wrote:

[...]

                        På slagmarken vi mødes skal; Hver morgen for at kæmpe
                        Hver aften når vi vender hjem; Ingen, vor fest kan dæmpe  -- Vanir, "Særimners Kød"
                      • frayoch
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 5, 2013
                          Fleas are pervasive - nasty little bugs. Make sure you not only get under furniture while vacuuming but under cushions in couches, etc, if you use the D.E put it everywhere.

                          If your vacuum has a beater bar use that the vibrations & heat are what cause the eggs to hatch, so you want to heat and vacuum those suckers up and dispose of quickly. I am all for natural treatments but when it comes to fleas, its often best to use the strongest stuff that won't harm you and your pet...birds have very different needs then cats and dogs so check with your local bird store before using some flea products!

                          A flea infestation almost killed my cat a few years ago, since then I did get everything under control and sadly use the strong chemicals on her because the natural products didn't help her, and I could never watch her go through that again.

                          best of luck, be persistant, and keeping cleaning even when you think they are all gone.

                          Máirghréad

                          Don’t take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive -Elbert Hubbard

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 7, 2013

                            Diatomaceous earth is safe to use, it's not a poison. I've had it around cats, dogs, birds and reptiles. The only thing it harms is creatures with exoskeletons as it causes them lots of scratches that makes them vulnerable to infection. I scatter it around my house to destroy those already coming in, but I also mix it with herbs to deter new ones from entering. I know Tansy, lavender, penny royal, marigold, basil, parsley and rue are the ones I use, but not all of them are to focus on fleas since I have to worry about ticks, mosquitoes and white flies too. I make this mix (a lot of it) and scatter it around after I do a deep cleaning so that it gets back into the cracks and crevasses of my floor and windows and doorways, under cushions, between mattress and box springs, under furniture,.. pretty much until the scent of the herbs pervades my house (it's actually kind of nice) I wrap the extra of the mix in a cloth bag and keep that inside a baggie so I can get it out and sort of daub it anywhere that I think may become a problem until it's the next time to deep clean and scatter the stuff around Also rub it into my pets' fur whenever they come home with a case of "gotta scratch" as it's safer for them than the flea shampoo from the store. If I actually SEE the fleas on them I will give them a bath starting from the head down to drown/wash the fleas off of them and squash them as they come off. I try to avoid the chemicals until it's a last resort, but occasionally it is necessary, especially when we have a bad year around where I live to where even having the plants on my steps and around the edge of the house or the herbs doesn't deter the darn things.

                            I think I've heard of wormwood being a good deterrent to fleas and snakes too... also be aware that DE doesn't just harm fleas, but also the three major predators of said fleas, that being ants, spiders and ground beetles.

                          • Marta McCarthy
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 8, 2013
                              Ségnat,

                              That is a lovely blog.  Thanks for sharing it!
                              Isabella

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 8, 2013
                                Just an update:

                                I threw out my rug and bagged the noise rug pad.  so I'm back to a lineoleum floor.

                                Discovering that without a washing machine, washing bedding does no good because I guess the point is to physically remove the fleas and eggs from the fabric.

                                Putting down boric acid.  I ordered some dimetrious earth (spelling?) on amazon yesterday.  I also ordered some lavender shampoo and body wash.  Will be at least a week before that can arrive.  I don't drive due to low vision issues and there are no places that sell any of this that I can get to.  Same problem with laundry mat access.  No public laundrymats in my town.

                                Putting some lavender and eucalyptus oils on my sheets, but I find that doesn't stop the fleas from coming up and biting me at night (why not?).

                                Put out a soap water trap.  didn't work.

                                I think my neighbor's incessant booming music has to be making this worse.  I read that vacuuming stimulates the eggs to hatch.  Okay, so I am not vacuuming 6x per day.  But isn't the apartment shaking from the neighbor (landlord doesn't care because he pays his rent) stimulating them too?

                                Exterminator came out thursday but kept insisting I could not have fleas; didn't care how much I researched whatever or what I described.  He spraying a little something, but I am not sure it does any good.

                                Ideas?

                                --Laurel A. Rockefeller
                                Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
                                E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
                                ISBN: 9781476243344
                                Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
                                ISBN 9781479144808

                              • Dianna

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                                    I had an exterminator come over.  He found NO SIGNS of bed bugs.  I've also plucked some off my body.  tiny, black, about 1 mm long.

                                    bed bugs are round in shape and red.

                                    Absolutely fleas.

                                    The fleas jump from the floor to me sleeping.  They've also laid their eggs all over my bedding.

                                    I am the only mammal in my home and therefore the only food supply for them.  They don't come near my cockatoo.
                                  • Hope Bryant
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                                      Bedbugs are not always red, although the brownish caprice is red tinged. I've had them. I've fought a never-ending battle with them for over 3 years. FINALLY I managed to get away from them, and I have nightmares about finding them in the place I live now. If I could eradicate them to the last I would (I'm suffering from skin conditions now because of them).

                                      Well do I know. GR.

                                      The babies (newly hatched) are clear. They go through several molting stages. The eggs are almost indestructible which is why you have to work on /repeated/ attempts to get rid of them so you kill them /as/ they hatch.  You have to get them before they molt to the point of breeding. Breeding adults can be very large (bigger then tick) and have a tick-shaped body (but look "armored" rather then smooth). They are flatter too until they feed, then they look like fat fleas.

                                      Bed bugs and fleas bite in a similar way as well (cluster of three) so often it's hard to determine if it's flea of bed bug until one is caught.

                                      Fleas are longer, thinner, more oblong (not round) and are more "upright" rather then laying flat the way a tick or bed bug can. They are black.

                                      Fleas (I have a dog and cat that are indoor-outdoors so that's my current nuisance) are a pain but can be managed.

                                      Diatimaceous earth can be dangerous to breath in. There are two types. You want the food grade stuff, not the garden grade stuff. If you breath it in you could cause serious damage to your lungs (called siliceous). Paper face masks won't help because the particles are so small. You need a special small particle face mask. However it is the BEST natural cure-all for both kinds of bugs. It's made of the ancient remains of diatoms ground to a fine powder.

                                      There are toxins out there made of chrysanthemums that seem to work, as it attacks the carapace and eats away at it. But this needs to be applied more regularly. Some carpet cleaners out there for pets have D.E. in them. Look for it. :) They have other ingredients to help reduce the "float" of dust particles.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                                        The DE I ordered is supposed to arrive tomorrow based on tracking.  I threw out my rug and put my expensive sound dampening rug pad into a sealed garbage pad with either rosemary or basil in it.  So it's now to just lineoleum.

                                        I also now have some clear dawn dish soap.

                                        Someone told me at the store that dawn in water mopped under the bed and around and sprayed on my linens works really well?

                                        Is there some way to apply the DE in my bedroom safely?  I have a cockatoo (her room is separate) and I don't want to hurt her.

                                        Should I put it down with the windows open perhaps?

                                        --

                                        --Laurel A. Rockefeller
                                        Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
                                        E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
                                        ISBN: 9781476243344
                                        Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
                                        ISBN 9781479144808

                                      • Marilyn Crowley
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 9, 2013
                                          I had a similar situation a few years back and because where I lived also did not have a laundry mat and my dryer just didn't get hot enough to kill any eggs I was recommended by my vet at the time to use the diatomaceous earth and to bag all my bedding in plastic garbage bags but seal them with duct tape for 2 weeks also to sprinkle some DE in with them as well because after the DE has killed any live fleas any new hatchlings would be starved off and or contact with the DE...I put all my pillows into the plastic allergen covers and sealed them with duct tape as well s I was able to still use them while I was killing off the buggers....and my bed I purchased the same sort of allergen cover...the one that is like a super sized pillow case and again duct taped as well as DE on it.....my couches etc I dusted with DE especially under the cushions and the underside of the furniture you can try putting the strewing herbs between the allergy cover and the regular bed sheet to help discourage them and until the situation is remedied I would recommend not using any bedding that has stuffing in it like comforters and quilts they give the fleas a good hiding and nesting spots so regular blankets and if possible each day remove them from your bed when you wake up and bag them to discourage hiding in there...

                                          I understand how much of a pain it is but it is worth it...I would get hives and welts from flea bites so it can be quite irritating....and insufferable as well.

                                          Best of luck with this also you may want to see if the landlord would have a pest person inspect the entire building because you may be repeatedly getting an infestation from them because of neighbors and not anyone thing in your home itself....

                                          YIS
                                          Kolfinna

                                        • Galefridus Peregrinus
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                                            Time for a seriously long shot request, folks --

                                            So I've been reviewing a bunch of Roman-era olive cures, and I find that very many of them call for foliage and/or berries from the mastic shrub (Pistacia lentiscus), doing so in such casual terms as to indicate that every Roman farm had a bunch these shrubs available to work with. I've done a bit of research and found that the shrub is grown as an ornamental in the American Southwest. I'm wondering whether any in this illustrious group might (1) have access to the shrub, (2) be willing to sell, barter, or otherwise bargain for some of it, and (3) throw some in a box and shipmit to northern NJ.

                                            -- Galefridus
                                          • jack hollandbeck
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                                              Galefridus,

                                              Hail and happy steins! What a coincidence. I live in Arizona which is in the Southwest of the US. Another coincidence is that I am leaving soon so your's may be a last request. Give me a bit and I will check with my nursery. Also, I am VERY interested in Roman medicine. That is part of my research. I sounds like you have stumbled on a bunch of home remedies. I will happily take all your research! lol Sheesh you made my day. Let me check.

                                              Jack

                                              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                                                Thank you for your reply, and I will appreciate anything you can do to locate mastic twigs and berries. But I think that I need to clarify something: "olive cures" means means "methods of pickling and preserving olives." It's not herbal medicine, except in the more limited sense that as a food, olives bear a certain of humoural characteristics that that can positive and negative effects on persons of differing temperaments.

                                                -- Galefridus

                                                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 17, 2013
                                                  G,

                                                  That's cool. Pickling is good. I will see what I can do tomorrow. Twigs and berries of the mastic plant.

                                                  Jack

                                                  To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                                                  From: galefridus@...
                                                  Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:59:47 -0400