RE: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine

  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
      Arlene,

      I agree that kerosene and witch hazel sound like home remedies. I will have to ask my sister if she got them from my grandma. She was a poor old Hoosier dirt farmer. I suspect that she had a lot of "granny magic." Mom used to roll her eyes at stories of grandma. lol

      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: flucum@...
      Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:19:56 -0400
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine

      Hello Morin
          Can you please share your version of Tiger Balm...I love that stuff and to make my own would be wonderful...
          The kerosene and witch hazel remedy sounds like a down south remedy...my stepdad is from there was always telling my mom how to treat us kids with weird stuff like that she would never ever do...the one I remember was to mix spider webs, wood ashes, and lard for burns...lol...
         Thanks Arlene

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 27, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

      Not sure I'd want to use kerosene for anything other than burning in lamps, jet fuel, or Molotov cocktails....not necessarily in that order.  Kerosene (we call it "white gas") is a hydrocarbon distillate, so I would think it would have some of the same properties as coal tar, which is used as a shampoo for severe dandruff, psoriasis and lice.  It has drying properties and may contain some minor analgesic (maybe from paracetamol?)

      Witch Hazel also contains a small amount of phenol as on of its constituents, so ditto for  drying and analgesic properties.

      I WOULD NOT use either on any open or deep wounds.

      Tiger Balm is wonderful stuff.  I make a version of it using menthol, wintergreen, lavender, camphor and clove. It too, contains ingredients for analgesia.  Would not apply that to open wounds either.

      The best (besides what I make) boo boo balm I have found is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. I use it for scrapes, bites, and bruises. Will heal up very nicely and grandaughter #1 likes the green color ! (gotta please 5 yr olds)

      Morin

      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

      Howdy,

      My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.

      Jack

    • Prudentia
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
        witch hazel is excellent to get rid off and prevent pimples/acne because, as you said it is a great astringent and mild anticeptic
      • jack hollandbeck
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
          cool. thanks.