RE: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine

  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
      Arlene,

      I agree that kerosene and witch hazel sound like home remedies. I will have to ask my sister if she got them from my grandma. She was a poor old Hoosier dirt farmer. I suspect that she had a lot of "granny magic." Mom used to roll her eyes at stories of grandma. lol

      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: flucum@...
      Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:19:56 -0400
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine

      Hello Morin
          Can you please share your version of Tiger Balm...I love that stuff and to make my own would be wonderful...
          The kerosene and witch hazel remedy sounds like a down south remedy...my stepdad is from there was always telling my mom how to treat us kids with weird stuff like that she would never ever do...the one I remember was to mix spider webs, wood ashes, and lard for burns...lol...
         Thanks Arlene

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 27, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

      Not sure I'd want to use kerosene for anything other than burning in lamps, jet fuel, or Molotov cocktails....not necessarily in that order.  Kerosene (we call it "white gas") is a hydrocarbon distillate, so I would think it would have some of the same properties as coal tar, which is used as a shampoo for severe dandruff, psoriasis and lice.  It has drying properties and may contain some minor analgesic (maybe from paracetamol?)

      Witch Hazel also contains a small amount of phenol as on of its constituents, so ditto for  drying and analgesic properties.

      I WOULD NOT use either on any open or deep wounds.

      Tiger Balm is wonderful stuff.  I make a version of it using menthol, wintergreen, lavender, camphor and clove. It too, contains ingredients for analgesia.  Would not apply that to open wounds either.

      The best (besides what I make) boo boo balm I have found is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. I use it for scrapes, bites, and bruises. Will heal up very nicely and grandaughter #1 likes the green color ! (gotta please 5 yr olds)

      Morin

      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

      Howdy,

      My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.

      Jack

    • jack hollandbeck
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013

        lol thanks for the info. maybe I should just do some research on the medicinal uses.

        Jack

        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        From: joycehzeiler@...
        Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:47:13 -0500

        Galefridus: Thanks for the clarification.  I'm from the South, so we call any fuel (other than gasoline for vehicles and 2 cylinder engines) that burns "white gas"

        My balm is very simple: just beeswax and either olive or grapeseed oil.  Love grapeseed-just more costly than olive oil. I use essential oils, unless I make my own oil.

        Jack: Witch hazel is from the witch hazel tree Hamamelis virginiana.  Made from a distillation of leaves, bark, twigs. Contains tannins. The stuff you buy at the drugstore probably has alcohol in it also to help with the astringent properties.  Ha!  Just read an article on Witch Hazel today.

        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Galefridus Peregrinus <galefridus@...> wrote:

        Kerosene (paraffin in the UK) is not white gas -- it's from a heavier fraction of the distillation process, and is a bit greasy. It's actually pretty close to diesel fuel in composition, and has very little (if any) phenolics present. As for coal tar: Coke (the fuel, not the drink) is made by roasting coal in an oxygen-free furnace. Coal tar is the condensate of the gases given off in the process and is a mix of phenolic compounds and oils. It's my understanding that the active agents in coal tar medications are the phenolics. White gas is the same as Coleman fuel. Witch hazel is primarily as an astringent -- doctors recommend the stuff for topical use but not for open wounds.

        As you say, Tiger Balm rocks, but I wouldn't use it on open wounds -- it's primarily a topical analgesic/counterirritant. My wife uses it extensively for sinus headaches, and I've used it for fever-related headaches (I almost never get sinus headaches). Your version sounds outstanding -- what do you use as the carrier/binder?

        -- Galefridus

        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Joyce Zeiler wrote:

[...]

      • Prudentia
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
          witch hazel is excellent to get rid off and prevent pimples/acne because, as you said it is a great astringent and mild anticeptic
        • jack hollandbeck
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
            cool. thanks.