Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine

Expand Messages
  • Joyce Zeiler
    Galefridus: Thanks for the clarification. I m from the South, so we call any fuel (other than gasoline for vehicles and 2 cylinder engines) that burns white
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Galefridus: Thanks for the clarification.  I'm from the South, so we call any fuel (other than gasoline for vehicles and 2 cylinder engines) that burns "white gas"  

      My balm is very simple: just beeswax and either olive or grapeseed oil.  Love grapeseed-just more costly than olive oil. I use essential oils, unless I make my own oil.

      Jack: Witch hazel is from the witch hazel tree Hamamelis virginiana.  Made from a distillation of leaves, bark, twigs. Contains tannins. The stuff you buy at the drugstore probably has alcohol in it also to help with the astringent properties.  Ha!  Just read an article on Witch Hazel today.

      m


      On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Galefridus Peregrinus <galefridus@...> wrote:
       

      Kerosene (paraffin in the UK) is not white gas -- it's from a heavier fraction of the distillation process, and is a bit greasy. It's actually pretty close to diesel fuel in composition, and has very little (if any) phenolics present. As for coal tar: Coke (the fuel, not the drink) is made by roasting coal in an oxygen-free furnace. Coal tar is the condensate of the gases given off in the process and is a mix of phenolic compounds and oils. It's my understanding that the active agents in coal tar medications are the phenolics. White gas is the same as Coleman fuel. Witch hazel is primarily as an astringent -- doctors recommend the stuff for topical use but not for open wounds.

      As you say, Tiger Balm rocks, but I wouldn't use it on open wounds -- it's primarily a topical analgesic/counterirritant. My wife uses it extensively for sinus headaches, and I've used it for fever-related headaches (I almost never get sinus headaches). Your version sounds outstanding -- what do you use as the carrier/binder?

      -- Galefridus

      On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Joyce Zeiler wrote:

         Not sure I'd want to use kerosene for anything other than burning in lamps, jet fuel, or Molotov cocktails....not necessarily in that order.  Kerosene (we call it "white gas") is a hydrocarbon distillate, so I would think it would have some of the same properties as coal tar, which is used as a shampoo for severe dandruff, psoriasis and lice.  It has drying properties and may contain some minor analgesic (maybe from paracetamol?)


      Witch Hazel also contains a small amount of phenol as on of its constituents, so ditto for  drying and analgesic properties.

      I WOULD NOT use either on any open or deep wounds.

      Tiger Balm is wonderful stuff.  I make a version of it using menthol, wintergreen, lavender, camphor and clove. It too, contains ingredients for analgesia.  Would not apply that to open wounds either.

      The best (besides what I make) boo boo balm I have found is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. I use it for scrapes, bites, and bruises. Will heal up very nicely and grandaughter #1 likes the green color ! (gotta please 5 yr olds)


      Morin


      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Richard < original_xman@...> wrote:
       
      Howdy,

      My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.

      Jack



    • jack hollandbeck
      cool. thanks for the feedback. I think better of kerosine. Jack To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com From: mcrowleyarts@yahoo.com Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:08:32
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        cool. thanks for the feedback. I think better of kerosine. 
        Jack


        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        From: mcrowleyarts@...
        Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:08:32 -0400
        Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine



        I surely do not know anything about kerosine but I can reaffirm that witch hazel works great as a mild anti-septic/astringent I use it on minor abrasions and such....have used it for years on not only myself but with my kids as well.....



        On Jun 26, 2013, at 6:37 PM, Richard wrote:

         
        Howdy,

        My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.

        Jack





      • jack hollandbeck
        Arlene, I agree that kerosene and witch hazel sound like home remedies. I will have to ask my sister if she got them from my grandma. She was a poor old
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          Arlene,

          I agree that kerosene and witch hazel sound like home remedies. I will have to ask my sister if she got them from my grandma. She was a poor old Hoosier dirt farmer. I suspect that she had a lot of "granny magic." Mom used to roll her eyes at stories of grandma. lol

          Jack


          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
          From: flucum@...
          Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:19:56 -0400
          Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine



          Hello Morin
              Can you please share your version of Tiger Balm...I love that stuff and to make my own would be wonderful...
              The kerosene and witch hazel remedy sounds like a down south remedy...my stepdad is from there was always telling my mom how to treat us kids with weird stuff like that she would never ever do...the one I remember was to mix spider webs, wood ashes, and lard for burns...lol...
             Thanks Arlene

          Sent from my iPad

          On Jun 27, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

           

          Not sure I'd want to use kerosene for anything other than burning in lamps, jet fuel, or Molotov cocktails....not necessarily in that order.  Kerosene (we call it "white gas") is a hydrocarbon distillate, so I would think it would have some of the same properties as coal tar, which is used as a shampoo for severe dandruff, psoriasis and lice.  It has drying properties and may contain some minor analgesic (maybe from paracetamol?)

          Witch Hazel also contains a small amount of phenol as on of its constituents, so ditto for  drying and analgesic properties.

          I WOULD NOT use either on any open or deep wounds.

          Tiger Balm is wonderful stuff.  I make a version of it using menthol, wintergreen, lavender, camphor and clove. It too, contains ingredients for analgesia.  Would not apply that to open wounds either.

          The best (besides what I make) boo boo balm I have found is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. I use it for scrapes, bites, and bruises. Will heal up very nicely and grandaughter #1 likes the green color ! (gotta please 5 yr olds)


          Morin


          On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:
           
          Howdy,

          My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.

          Jack






        • jack hollandbeck
          m lol thanks for the info. maybe I should just do some research on the medicinal uses. Jack To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com From: joycehzeiler@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            m

            lol thanks for the info. maybe I should just do some research on the medicinal uses.

            Jack


            To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            From: joycehzeiler@...
            Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:47:13 -0500
            Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine



            Galefridus: Thanks for the clarification.  I'm from the South, so we call any fuel (other than gasoline for vehicles and 2 cylinder engines) that burns "white gas"  

            My balm is very simple: just beeswax and either olive or grapeseed oil.  Love grapeseed-just more costly than olive oil. I use essential oils, unless I make my own oil.

            Jack: Witch hazel is from the witch hazel tree Hamamelis virginiana.  Made from a distillation of leaves, bark, twigs. Contains tannins. The stuff you buy at the drugstore probably has alcohol in it also to help with the astringent properties.  Ha!  Just read an article on Witch Hazel today.

            m


            On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Galefridus Peregrinus <galefridus@...> wrote:
             

            Kerosene (paraffin in the UK) is not white gas -- it's from a heavier fraction of the distillation process, and is a bit greasy. It's actually pretty close to diesel fuel in composition, and has very little (if any) phenolics present. As for coal tar: Coke (the fuel, not the drink) is made by roasting coal in an oxygen-free furnace. Coal tar is the condensate of the gases given off in the process and is a mix of phenolic compounds and oils. It's my understanding that the active agents in coal tar medications are the phenolics. White gas is the same as Coleman fuel. Witch hazel is primarily as an astringent -- doctors recommend the stuff for topical use but not for open wounds.

            As you say, Tiger Balm rocks, but I wouldn't use it on open wounds -- it's primarily a topical analgesic/counterirritant. My wife uses it extensively for sinus headaches, and I've used it for fever-related headaches (I almost never get sinus headaches). Your version sounds outstanding -- what do you use as the carrier/binder?

            -- Galefridus

            On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Joyce Zeiler wrote:

               Not sure I'd want to use kerosene for anything other than burning in lamps, jet fuel, or Molotov cocktails....not necessarily in that order.  Kerosene (we call it "white gas") is a hydrocarbon distillate, so I would think it would have some of the same properties as coal tar, which is used as a shampoo for severe dandruff, psoriasis and lice.  It has drying properties and may contain some minor analgesic (maybe from paracetamol?)


            Witch Hazel also contains a small amount of phenol as on of its constituents, so ditto for  drying and analgesic properties.

            I WOULD NOT use either on any open or deep wounds.

            Tiger Balm is wonderful stuff.  I make a version of it using menthol, wintergreen, lavender, camphor and clove. It too, contains ingredients for analgesia.  Would not apply that to open wounds either.

            The best (besides what I make) boo boo balm I have found is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. I use it for scrapes, bites, and bruises. Will heal up very nicely and grandaughter #1 likes the green color ! (gotta please 5 yr olds)


            Morin


            On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Richard < original_xman@...> wrote:
             
            Howdy,

            My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.

            Jack






          • Prudentia
            witch hazel is excellent to get rid off and prevent pimples/acne because, as you said it is a great astringent and mild anticeptic
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              witch hazel is excellent to get rid off and prevent pimples/acne because, as you said it is a great astringent and mild anticeptic
            • jack hollandbeck
              cool. thanks.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                cool. thanks.

                > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                > From: iq180andstillatrollop@...
                > Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 04:21:35 +0000
                > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: witch hazel and kerosine
                >
                > witch hazel is excellent to get rid off and prevent pimples/acne because, as you said it is a great astringent and mild anticeptic
                >
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > -------------------------------------------------------------
                > SCA-Herbalist disclaimer: This list is primarily for discussion of medieval
                > and renaissance herbalism and herbalism in the SCA. Please verify any health
                > information in other sources and/or with a qualified health professional.
                >
                > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.MedievalMart.com/
                > Sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
                > [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                > <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Herbalist/
                >
                > <*> Your email settings:
                > Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Herbalist/join
                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
                > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                > SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                >
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.