Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Homemade Vinegar Question

  • Galefridus Peregrinus
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
      At the risk of stating the obvious: If you add store-bought cider vinegar, make sure that it's the "live" vinegar that contains active cultures. Organic food stores sell the stuff. You'll know you have the right stuff if it's cloudy.

      -- Galefridus

      On Jun 22, 2013, at 8:32, Heather Lambert <kettabal@...> wrote:

      Should I take out some of my apple scraps, and add some store bought apple cider vinegar then? That sounds like the best solution to me.

      ~K

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Kirk Spencer <kspencer30720@...> wrote:

      Pardon, but I admit to confusion.

      You see, I've never made vinegar from apple scraps. I've made apple (hard) cider, then let the acetobacter (mother) develop to convert the alcohol to acetic acid. That said it does sound like it's a mother which is struggling. If it is, you feed it with alcohol; in this case more apple cider.

      Kirklin

    • Theresa Brooks
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013

        No because then your adding vinegar to vinegar which defeats the point in making it. Take out the scraps they have done their job.  and feed organic cider. NOT a hard cider. You started with the apples making a regular cider so feed it that. Your vinegar mother is eating the natural SUGARS not alcohol. If you had started with a hard cider you would feed with such. Just avoid sulfites. They slow down the process and can starve you out. That is why so many brewers and vintners use them unfortunately. Sulfites prevent things from going vinegar. Always feed with what you start with in order to maintain purity and control end result.

        If there is any chance you will be st northern region war practice at Glenn Lynn let me know. I'll bring you samples and mother from all 3 of my different vinegars.

        Isabella