Re: [SCA-Herbalist] White Peaches and Mulberries

  • Joyce Zeiler
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 8 1:30 PM
      LOL.  Muscadines are like wild grapes. They grow in the woods and  have a wonderful smell and flavor, unlike anything you've ever experienced. They make heavenly jelly and of course, wine.

      On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

      Morin!

      Why do you keep doing this to me? lmao What is muscadine? I will ask her.

      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: joycehzeiler@...
      Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 13:44:46 -0500
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] White Peaches and Mulberries

      She sounds like she is doing a wonderful job on her homestead.  If I recall correctly, the jelly was good, but not as good as muscadine jelly.  I bet she has muscadines, too.

      Morin

      On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

      M,

      lol I have a wonderful picture of purple foot prints on the kitchen floor. My granddaughter was thrilled with her purple tongue. She loved showing it off. My daughter said she mixed the mulberries with water. I didn't think to ask if she whisked after she added whole berries to the water (hot?) or if the berries were mashed and the juice added to the water. I am sure that I will find out the hard way when i get there. lol How was the jelly? She cans, pickles and makes jams. She makes her own ranch dressing. I think she is a natural for herbalism They are dirt poor and have to make things work.

      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: joycehzeiler@...
      Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

      When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

      From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

      Sounds like that is a plausible logic jump about the purple dye. I didn't find any sources in my more modern dye books about mulberry.  I'd like to know more, too.

    • jack hollandbeck
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 8 3:59 PM
        Morin,

        I actually texted her after your email. She doesn't think that they have any. However, I suggested that there may be an opportunity for them. I have suggested that they open a berry farm. I want to help. The Ozarks is a good place for herbs, too. Lots of herbal "granny magic" still out there in the backwoods. I can't wait.

        Jack

        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

        From: joycehzeiler@...
        Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

        When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

        From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.