Re: [SCA-Herbalist] White Peaches and Mulberries

  • Joyce Zeiler
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
      When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

      From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

      Sounds like that is a plausible logic jump about the purple dye. I didn't find any sources in my more modern dye books about mulberry.  I'd like to know more, too.

    • jack hollandbeck
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
        M,

        lol I have a wonderful picture of purple foot prints on the kitchen floor. My granddaughter was thrilled with her purple tongue. She loved showing it off. My daughter said she mixed the mulberries with water. I didn't think to ask if she whisked after she added whole berries to the water (hot?) or if the berries were mashed and the juice added to the water. I am sure that I will find out the hard way when i get there. lol How was the jelly? She cans, pickles and makes jams. She makes her own ranch dressing. I think she is a natural for herbalism They are dirt poor and have to make things work.

        Jack

        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        From: joycehzeiler@...
        Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500
        Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] White Peaches and Mulberries

        When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

        From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

      • silveroak@juno.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
          Greetings,

          >From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies. Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry. And I did make jelly once.

          That special tweezer that is used on farms that butcher chickens, to pull the pin feathers out? Comes in handy for mulberry stems ;-)

          I just looked on ebay - fish bone tweezers are close enough. And pulling pin feathers is #%$#&& harder than mulberry stems....

          -"got waaaaay to much experience as a kid" Carowyn

          Political system upset?
          Democrats BIG advantage in America about to completely vanish
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51b27634e797276344bc4st01duc
        • jack hollandbeck
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
            All these wonderful tips. lol I am writing all this down.
            Jack

            > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            > From: silveroak@...
            > Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 00:08:15 +0000
            > Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] White Peaches and Mulberries
            >

            > Greetings,
            >
            > >From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies. Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry. And I did make jelly once.
            >

            > That special tweezer that is used on farms that butcher chickens, to pull the pin feathers out? Comes in handy for mulberry stems ;-)
            >
            > I just looked on ebay - fish bone tweezers are close enough. And pulling pin feathers is #%$#&& harder than mulberry stems....
            >
            > -"got waaaaay to much experience as a kid" Carowyn

            > Political system upset?
            > Democrats BIG advantage in America about to completely vanish
            > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51b27634e797276344bc4st01duc

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Joyce Zeiler
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
              She sounds like she is doing a wonderful job on her homestead.  If I recall correctly, the jelly was good, but not as good as muscadine jelly.  I bet she has muscadines, too.

              Morin

              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
              From: joycehzeiler@...
              Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

              When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

              From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                Morin!

                Why do you keep doing this to me? lmao What is muscadine? I will ask her.

                Jack

                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                From: joycehzeiler@...
                Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                  LOL.  Muscadines are like wild grapes. They grow in the woods and  have a wonderful smell and flavor, unlike anything you've ever experienced. They make heavenly jelly and of course, wine.

                  To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                  From: joycehzeiler@...
                  Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                  When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                  From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                    Morin,

                    I actually texted her after your email. She doesn't think that they have any. However, I suggested that there may be an opportunity for them. I have suggested that they open a berry farm. I want to help. The Ozarks is a good place for herbs, too. Lots of herbal "granny magic" still out there in the backwoods. I can't wait.

                    Jack

                    To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                    From: joycehzeiler@...
                    Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                    When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                    From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.