RE: [SCA-Herbalist] FW: breaking news

  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013
      Hello all,

      Now for the good stuff. My daughter has some interesting things in her back yard. She has white peaches and mulberries. She also has the normal blueberries, blackberries and walnuts, all wild. Any ideas or uses for mulberries and white peaches beyond eating them?

      Jack

      To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: original_xman@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Herbalist] FW: breaking news

      Fox News is skeptical about diet aides, so am I. Who most just mess with blood pressure and metabolism. My doc says to loose weight the old fashioned way. That is how you put the fat on in the first place. I am also skeptical about Fox News on everything, including shilling for products. The article reads like an infomercial.
      Jack

      To: sfrcougar@...; seneschal@...; Sean.Carpenter@...; scacooksitalian@yahoogroups.com; SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com; roland_sos@...
      From: donat0@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:00:32 -0700
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] FW: breaking news

    • Christy
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013

        The white peaches tend to be less sweet than more colorful varieties.  I have used them in pork dishes several times and love their flavor when slow-cooked.  They make the basis for nice bbq sauce, and chopped up do well in salsa.

        I had some mulberries turn into their own natural mulberry vinegar in the back of my fridge last year, so I made Mulberry Shrub with that vinegar and some honey, diluted in lots of ice water.  Very delicious!

        Her backyard sounds like it contains quite the bounty!

        Christianna

        To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        From: original_xman@...
        Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500

        To: sfrcougar@...; seneschal@...; Sean.Carpenter@...; scacooksitalian@yahoogroups.com; SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com; roland_sos@...
        From: donat0@...
        Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:00:32 -0700

        No virus found in this message.

      • jack hollandbeck
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013
          Christianna,

          oooooh! I am gonna forward this to her. I agree about her back yard. I have told her that she has a farm and could make money at the farmer's market. I haven't seen her yard but can't wait. Hmmm, I wonder if we made home made salsa, BBQ sauce, and sweet and sour sauce for the Ozarkers? Thank you so much.
          Jack

          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

          To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
          From: original_xman@...
          Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500

          To: sfrcougar@...; seneschal@...; Sean.Carpenter@...; scacooksitalian@yahoogroups.com; SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com; roland_sos@...
          From: donat0@...
          Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:00:32 -0700

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013
            Christianna,

            I forgot. What is Mulberry Shrub? lol

            Jack

            To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

            To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            From: original_xman@...
            Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500

            To: sfrcougar@...; seneschal@...; Sean.Carpenter@...; scacooksitalian@yahoogroups.com; SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com; roland_sos@...
            From: donat0@...
            Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:00:32 -0700

            No virus found in this message.

          • Joyce Zeiler
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013
              Mulberries for dye.  I also have a mulberry tree, right outside the deck, so the birds love to decorate it. :)

              Morin

              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

              To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
              From: original_xman@...
              Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013

                A Shrub is a 19th century term for a vinegar based syrup, much like the jalabs and syrups that have become popular in the SCA that stem from the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook from the 12th century.  Basically a concentrate, syrups can be made with all sorts of flavors – carrot, tamarind, violet, mint (like the ever-popular Sekanjabin), mixed with plain or flavored vinegar, then either poured over shaved ice or mixed with cold water for a very refreshing drink.  Sekanjabin is a natural refrigerant with the mint, we like to call it “medieval Gatorade”.  J

                I was at a food show in San Francisco in April and a company there selling specialty flavor infused balsamic vinegars was pushing their shrub recipes, including several that were made into cocktails.

                Christianna

                To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                From: original_xman@...
                Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500

                To: sfrcougar@...; seneschal@...; Sean.Carpenter@...; scacooksitalian@yahoogroups.com; SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com; roland_sos@...
                From: donat0@...
                Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:00:32 -0700

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                  Morin,

                  Thanks, ans so sorry for your poor mulberry bush. lol My granddaughter told me all about her purple mulberry paint that my daughter taught her. Since then I have wondered if that was a cheap purple dye in Europe for people who could not afford the real stuff from the murex. I know that purple was used to decorate late Roman army uniforms. There is not enough murex for that. I wonder. Anybody have info on that for Dark Ages or Medieval? Hope I don't end up with mulberry purple toenails from my granddaughter.

                  Jack

                  To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                  To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                  From: original_xman@...
                  Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                    Chritianna,

                    Cool! Thanks. Yup a reduction can be made from anything with time and care. You just gave me an idea to reduce red wine and mulberry into a sauce for pork chops. I'm hungry. I want to cook. Maybe I can do that for my daughter's family when I get there. Thanks. Spatulas and swords are complimentary.

                    Jack

                    To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mermayde@...
                    Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 21:10:25 -0400

                    To: sca-herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                    From: original_xman@...
                    Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:05:15 -0500

                    To: sfrcougar@...; seneschal@...; Sean.Carpenter@...; scacooksitalian@yahoogroups.com; SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com; roland_sos@...
                    From: donat0@...
                    Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:00:32 -0700

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                      When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                      From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

                      Sounds like that is a plausible logic jump about the purple dye. I didn't find any sources in my more modern dye books about mulberry.  I'd like to know more, too.

                    • jack hollandbeck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                        M,

                        lol I have a wonderful picture of purple foot prints on the kitchen floor. My granddaughter was thrilled with her purple tongue. She loved showing it off. My daughter said she mixed the mulberries with water. I didn't think to ask if she whisked after she added whole berries to the water (hot?) or if the berries were mashed and the juice added to the water. I am sure that I will find out the hard way when i get there. lol How was the jelly? She cans, pickles and makes jams. She makes her own ranch dressing. I think she is a natural for herbalism They are dirt poor and have to make things work.

                        Jack

                        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                        From: joycehzeiler@...
                        Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                        When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                        From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

                      • silveroak@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                          Greetings,

                          >From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies. Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry. And I did make jelly once.

                          That special tweezer that is used on farms that butcher chickens, to pull the pin feathers out? Comes in handy for mulberry stems ;-)

                          I just looked on ebay - fish bone tweezers are close enough. And pulling pin feathers is #%$#&& harder than mulberry stems....

                          -"got waaaaay to much experience as a kid" Carowyn

                          Political system upset?
                          Democrats BIG advantage in America about to completely vanish
                          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51b27634e797276344bc4st01duc
                        • jack hollandbeck
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                            All these wonderful tips. lol I am writing all this down.
                            Jack

                            > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: silveroak@...
                            > Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 00:08:15 +0000
                            > Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] White Peaches and Mulberries
                            >

                            > Greetings,
                            >
                            > >From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies. Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry. And I did make jelly once.
                            >

                            > That special tweezer that is used on farms that butcher chickens, to pull the pin feathers out? Comes in handy for mulberry stems ;-)
                            >
                            > I just looked on ebay - fish bone tweezers are close enough. And pulling pin feathers is #%$#&& harder than mulberry stems....
                            >
                            > -"got waaaaay to much experience as a kid" Carowyn

                            > Political system upset?
                            > Democrats BIG advantage in America about to completely vanish
                            > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51b27634e797276344bc4st01duc

                            > <*> Your email settings:
                            > Individual Email | Traditional
                            >
                            > <*> To change settings online go to:
                            > (Yahoo! ID required)
                            >
                            > <*> To change settings via email:
                            > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Joyce Zeiler
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                              She sounds like she is doing a wonderful job on her homestead.  If I recall correctly, the jelly was good, but not as good as muscadine jelly.  I bet she has muscadines, too.

                              Morin

                              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                              From: joycehzeiler@...
                              Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                              When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                              From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                                Morin!

                                Why do you keep doing this to me? lmao What is muscadine? I will ask her.

                                Jack

                                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                                From: joycehzeiler@...
                                Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                                When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                                From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                                  LOL.  Muscadines are like wild grapes. They grow in the woods and  have a wonderful smell and flavor, unlike anything you've ever experienced. They make heavenly jelly and of course, wine.

                                  To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: joycehzeiler@...
                                  Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                                  When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                                  From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                                    Morin,

                                    I actually texted her after your email. She doesn't think that they have any. However, I suggested that there may be an opportunity for them. I have suggested that they open a berry farm. I want to help. The Ozarks is a good place for herbs, too. Lots of herbal "granny magic" still out there in the backwoods. I can't wait.

                                    Jack

                                    To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: joycehzeiler@...
                                    Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:43:19 -0500

                                    When my girls were little, we had a mullberry tree  at another residence.  This one was *huge*.  And of course, being from the south, the girls ran around bare footed.  Don't know about toenail polish, but I do know about purple on the feet and between the toes.  They looked like they had bruised feet, poor kids.

                                    From that tree, I was able to collect enough berries for pies.  Don't recommend it. Too messy to try to remove the little stems from the berry.  And I did make jelly once.