Re: [SCA-Herbalist] flea and tick repellent

  • Joyce Zeiler
    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2013
      I've had free range chickens.  Yes, they do keep down ticks (and copperheads).  However, hawks and neighborhood dogs also like them.

      On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Jennifer Heise <jenne.heise@...> wrote:

      A recent Mother Earth News suggests that guinea hens and chickens are very successful at controlling ticks and other insects: maybe a some semi-free-range poultry would do the trick? (It appears to have been a period solution).
      -- Jadwiga

      On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

      Howdy,
      I found this on my daughter's facebook. She has real problems in her yard, not to mention the nest of Copperhead snakes! Poor thing. What do you think of these "natural" solutions to fleas and ticks?

      Jack

      Repellent for Pets

      For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent). To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, which will all repel ticks and fleas while also creating a scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day. When pets are outdoors generally to use the restroom only, spray the solution onto the animal's coat once per day.

      A simple homemade repellent can be made with a few inexpensive household ingredients. In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil or bath oil. Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks. After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine the skin and hair when returning home to make sure no ticks are on the body.

      --
      Jennifer Heise

      known in the SCA as Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

    • jack hollandbeck
      Message 2 of 10 , May 21, 2013
        That is one problem because she has a BUNCH of dogs that come over to hang out. lol
        Jack

        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com