Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Natural chapstick?

  • Gwen Binns
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2013

      I've made lip balm and it's really easy! Mountain Rose herbs has a video on how to make it:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXWF62Osa4

      Their recipe is:

      1 cup of herbal infused oil
      2 ounces of beeswax
      1 tsp of essential oil

      You can make the herbal infused oil by putting the herbs in the oil and letting it sit for 3-4 weeks. I sometimes warm the herbs in the oil in the double boiler for 3 hours, and then strain. The video suggests you use sweet almond oil because it's less greasy but I made it with olive oil and I didn't think it was greasy at all.

      In a double boiler (or I put water in a pot, and then put a metal bowl on top), melt the wax and then add the infused oil and then melt it again. The oil is cooler than the wax so some solidified when you pour the oil into the wax. Then you put the oil/wax mixture in something that you can use to pour it into the containers (like a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup or something similar), mix in the essential oil and pour into tins or tubes. If you do tubes, you probably want at least 50 if not more.

      Mountain rose herbs has a lot of great videos on youtube if you want to check them out!

      Katharine

      You can always judge a person's character by how they treat animals. To you they may be just animals, but to me they are my family.