flea and tick repellent

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 10 , May 20, 2013
      Howdy,
      I found this on my daughter's facebook. She has real problems in her yard, not to mention the nest of Copperhead snakes! Poor thing. What do you think of these "natural" solutions to fleas and ticks?

      Jack

      Repellent for Pets

      For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent). To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, which will all repel ticks and fleas while also creating a scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day. When pets are outdoors generally to use the restroom only, spray the solution onto the animal's coat once per day.

      A simple homemade repellent can be made with a few inexpensive household ingredients. In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil or bath oil. Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks. After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine the skin and hair when returning home to make sure no ticks are on the body.
    • Joyce Zeiler
      Message 2 of 10 , May 21, 2013
        Copperheads!  Move!

        Morin
        (who shudders at the sight/mention of snakes)

        On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Jennifer Heise
        Message 3 of 10 , May 21, 2013
          A recent Mother Earth News suggests that guinea hens and chickens are very successful at controlling ticks and other insects: maybe a some semi-free-range poultry would do the trick? (It appears to have been a period solution).
          -- Jadwiga

          --
          Jennifer Heise

          known in the SCA as Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
        • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2185, ST
          Message 4 of 10 , May 21, 2013
            Wish I could! Stupid small yard and county regs. =( I love guinea
            hens. They crack me up!

            Message 5 of 10 , May 21, 2013
              I like the insectivore solution, although many birds are known hosts of disease-carrying ticks, so you'll want to look into that.

              Having just returned from my annual wilderness pilgrimage (I hike a chunk of the Appalachian Trail every year), I can comment a bit on what sort of remedies and repellents folks are currently finding effective. Long distance hikers (folks out for more than week or two at a time) tend to shun the modern chemicals (DEET and similar substances) in favor of gentler solutions -- if you're going to be out for a while, you don't want to be dousing yourself in the nasty stuff every day. Lots of folks used commercially prepared versions of the citrus-based repellent described below and found them quite effective. The primary issue with the stuff is that it is relatively short-acting, so you have to reapply often. But keep in mind that these are folks who are working quite hard and are fairly quickly sweating off whatever they apply.

              -- Galefridus

              > A recent Mother Earth News suggests that guinea hens and
              > chickens are very
              > successful at controlling ticks and other insects: maybe a some
              > semi-free-range poultry would do the trick? (It appears to have
              > been a
              > period solution).
              > -- Jadwiga
              >
              > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Richard
              > wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Howdy,
              > > I found this on my daughter's facebook. She has real problems
              > in her yard,
              > > not to mention the nest of Copperhead snakes! Poor thing. What
              > do you think
              > > of these "natural" solutions to fleas and ticks?
              > >
              > > Jack
              > >
              > > Repellent for Pets
              > >
              > > For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2
              > cups of
              > > distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of
              > vinegar, and
              > > will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two
              > > spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain
              > sulfur (another
              > > natural tick repellent). To make a repellent that will also
              > deter fleas,
              > > mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or
              > peppermint oil, which
              > > will all repel ticks and fleas while also creating a scented
              > repellent.> Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from
              > sensitive areas including
              > > eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended
              > period,> spray this solution on two to three times per day. When
              > pets are outdoors
              > > generally to use the restroom only, spray the solution onto
              > the animal's
              > > coat once per day.
              > >
              > > A simple homemade repellent can be made with a few inexpensive
              > household> ingredients. In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of
              > distilled white vinegar and 1
              > > cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell
              > like bitter
              > > vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil
              > or bath oil.
              > > Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick
              > > repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong
              > crisp scent
              > > that also repel ticks. After mixing the solution, spray onto
              > clothing,> skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every
              > four hours to keep
              > > ticks at bay, and examine the skin and hair when returning
              > home to make
              > > sure no ticks are on the body.
              > >

              > --
              > Jennifer Heise
              >
              > known in the SCA as Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

            • jack hollandbeck
              Message 6 of 10 , May 21, 2013
                Copperheads! No doo-doo. That is one of the joys in living in real rural Missouri. She wants me to bring my shotgun. lol
                Jack

                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 10 , May 21, 2013
                  Sweet. They will need a fence to keep the varmints out. Free eggs! Whoo-hoo. Oh, I heard that real fresh eggs are low in bad cholesterol. The cholesterol builds with time, hence grocery store eggs are bad.
                  Jack

                  To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 21, 2013
                    Cool. Thanks. What about a guinea hen skirt? lol
                    Jack

                    To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                    From: galefridus@...
                    Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:53:08 +0000

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 21, 2013
                        That is one problem because she has a BUNCH of dogs that come over to hang out. lol
                        Jack

                        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com