field guides was FW: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Introduction to Herbalism

  • Rickard, Patty
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 6:02 AM

      From: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of aranwen_of_willowford
      Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 11:16 PM
      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Introduction to Herbalism

      Petersons field guides are made for various regions so you can use them to help ID what's local to you. (I have been told Audubon's are good as well but never used them.) Shows you known lookalikes (VERY important to research to know before you wild gather) and includes known uses too.
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395988144

      ~Lady Aranwen of Willow Ford

      Peterson’s seems to be better if you learn from pictures, Audubon’s work if you learn from photos (I can’t generalize enough from photos). I like Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide because it has a key (no more searching through dozens of little white flowers) http://www.amazon.com/Newcombs-Wildflower-Guide-Lawrence-Newcomb/dp/0316604429#reader_0316604429

      Ceit