Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Herbal First Aid Handout

  • silveroak@juno.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
      Greetings,

      Firstly, a book I highly recommend:

      The Artifice of Beauty - Sally Pointer - 2005 - isbn 0-7509-3887-0

      Second, a burn recipe:

      Calendula and lemon are good for burns, so I've put dried calendula petals and cut-up lemons into vodka for soothing burn relief. Scoop out some of the petal / pulp mush, put on the burn....ahhhhhh....

      -Carowyn

      How to Sleep Like a Rock
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51784a32b5daf4a320b3ast03duc
    • Marta McCarthy
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
        I think we all have our own recipe.  What you teach others, what you learn in class and what you do for yourself.  I unfortunately, burn myself all too often.  Stop the cooking of the flesh is always first for me.  Cool water works, but iced water really works.  Stops the chemical release into the tissues and stops the damage from continuing.  Much like icing a sprain.  THEN apply topical of choice.  I have many aloe vera plants, and the pulp works well after the burning stops.  I like the calendula/lemon/vodka much idea.   I will have to make some and test it next time.  Always looking for a better mousetrap.

        I have applied calendula/comfrey  in the past and that is good too.  Many burns, so far no scars.  I think it also depends on your type of skin.  If you scar easily, like my daughter, it's rough.  I have applied greasy stuff on and not always a good feel for me until the burning stopped.  We are water based creatures.

        On a different note, I recently crushed a finger on a camping cot I was putting away from Gulf Wars, and I packed it in a comfrey poultice.  Didn't take the pain away initially, actually throbbed something awful all night.  But the next morning I had no swelling and I could move my finger joints. Pain was gone. I am thinking I only bruised the joints, but wow, it worked so well.  Made me a believer.
        Stay well all,
        Isabella
        (yes, still putting away stuff from Gulf wars)

        On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM, silveroak@... <silveroak@...> wrote:

        Greetings,

        Firstly, a book I highly recommend:

        The Artifice of Beauty - Sally Pointer - 2005 - isbn 0-7509-3887-0

        Second, a burn recipe:

        Calendula and lemon are good for burns, so I've put dried calendula petals and cut-up lemons into vodka for soothing burn relief. Scoop out some of the petal / pulp mush, put on the burn....ahhhhhh....

        -Carowyn

        How to Sleep Like a Rock
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51784a32b5daf4a320b3ast03duc

      • aranwen_of_willowford
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
          After cooling off the area right away, I just made some burn salve to be used should I find myself with a burn. It has:

          Plantain, chickweed, and calendula infused oils (made), aloe oil (bought not made), and some lavender essential oil. (Eucalyptus and bergamot are on my project list of other potential essential oils to add)

          If my comfrey will come up, it will be a useful ingredient here too for future batches, thanks to its rapid regrowth of damaged cells. (I plan only to use the leaf, and not the root! The potential risks to the liver are not something I wish to chance by consuming any root. But a leaf infused oil will be FINE for external use only. It would even be safe if accidentally consumed by... ? a pet, a kid, etc if I give any of it away, when avoiding the root.)
          *Standard disclaimer, always do your own research, I am not a medical pro or anything :)

          It also works on a number of other wounds too, which are of course inevitably going to be gotten.
          I love that I can also use it for many things in addition burns such as blisters, scrapes, inflamed wounds, insect bites, skin infections, dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, and rashes. Wounds in general. Oh, also helps with rapid healing, while reducing scarring. You can build a great list when you identify all the constituents that you pick to use in your own concoctions!

          http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/1293/aloe-vera-oil-certified-organic-

          ~Lady Aranwen