RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Introduction to Herbalism

  • Ségnat ingen Fháeláin
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24 1:24 PM

      Google is not your friend.  Google-ing herbalism leads to finding a lot of erroneous and conflicting information and even more confusion.  I don’t like for my herbal apprentices to use the Internet at all in their research but when they do it,  I guide them to certain websites.

      This is a link to my mundane blog, where I keep a list of the websites I prefer that they use.   I have linked to a few “period” resources on their as well.   http://naturallysimple.org/living/my-favorite-herbals/     Here is a link to my much-neglected and rarely updated “SCA” blog.  http://segnatssojourns.blogspot.com/    I talk about herbs on it, sometimes.

      Most of the herbal blogs I link to are those of my personal friends whom I respect.   There  are literally hundreds out there, but I chose to narrow it down that way.   If you are studying Materia Medica, I can give you more specific links. .   Please don’t be afraid to e-mail me off-list with questions.

      Warmly

      Ségnat ingen Fháeláin

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24 2:03 PM
        I will send you an email. This group is about herbalism so our other topic should be done privately out of respect for these wonderful people. They are good.
        Jack

        > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        > From: chimericalgirl@...
        > Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:55:40 +0000
        > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Introduction to Herbalism
        >
        > Thank u!!! It's good to hear from u again! I'm definitely going to need some bruise remedies! If you need anymore help just let me know!!! I can't wait to read your book when it comes out!!
        >
        > --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Stephanie,
        > > Hello, it is good to find you again outside of women fighters. There are a ton of stuff on this site, much in older messages. These are wonderful folks and will help you in anyway. Just ask. They have been priceless to me. They also have lots of bruise ointments, etc., for fighters. Just ask. And thanks again for your help in my research.
        > > Jack
        > >
        > > > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        > > > From: chimericalgirl@...
        > > > Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 19:56:09 +0000
        > > > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Introduction to Herbalism
        > > >
        > > > Hello, I'm new to the SCA and I couldn't believe it when I found this group! I've always wanted to study herbal remedies!
        > > > I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good book to start with? Ideally I would like to know different herbs and flowers and how to use them for a variety of problems and how to make my own remedies. Also is there something to explain the difference between a "tincture" and "decoction" and everything else?
        > > > I would really appreciate any articles/books/blogs on this subject.

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Marta McCarthy
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24 2:57 PM
          One of my favorite books is The Herbal MedicineMakers Handbook: A Home Manual by James Greene.  He takes it step by step and is a good introduction.  There are many others on the market, and sometimes a used book store can give you very nice resources.  I will let others give you their favorites.  One thing I learned about herbalism.  No one book has everything about everything.  You wind up going to many authors across the years.  Welcome!
          Isabella

          On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM, stephanie <chimericalgirl@...> wrote:

          Hello, I'm new to the SCA and I couldn't believe it when I found this group! I've always wanted to study herbal remedies!
          I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good book to start with? Ideally I would like to know different herbs and flowers and how to use them for a variety of problems and how to make my own remedies. Also is there something to explain the difference between a "tincture" and "decoction" and everything else?
          I would really appreciate any articles/books/blogs on this subject.

        • aranwen_of_willowford
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 29 8:16 PM
            I second that book as a wonderful learning resource. I discovered it on my own a little while back, and found a stockpile of info I wish I'd had sooner. :) Handy reference.
            www.amazon.com/gp/product/0895949903

            Another good reference volume for modern herbal info I have used so many times is called
            Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine: The Definitive Home Reference Guide to 550 Key Herbs with all their Uses as Remedies for Common Ailments
            It doesn't teach you how to do things, but it does give you a good place to look up which thing is good for what, with medical knowledge to guide you.
            www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789467836to

            Nice safe reputable resource to buy herbs to work with (as opposed to wild gathering until you're SURE of identity of things to use)
            http://mountainroseherbs.com

            Petersons field guides are made for various regions so you can use them to help ID what's local to you. (I have been told Audubon's are good as well but never used them.) Shows you known lookalikes (VERY important to research to know before you wild gather) and includes known uses too.
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395988144

            ~Lady Aranwen of Willow Ford

            --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

            > One of my favorite books is *The Herbal MedicineMakers Handbook: A Home
            > Manual *by James Greene. He takes it step by step and is a good
            > introduction. There are many others on the market, and sometimes a used
            > book store can give you very nice resources. I will let others give you
            > their favorites. One thing I learned about herbalism. No one book has
            > everything about everything. You wind up going to many authors across the
            > years. Welcome!
            > Isabella
            >

            > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM, stephanie <chimericalgirl@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hello, I'm new to the SCA and I couldn't believe it when I found this
            > > group! I've always wanted to study herbal remedies!
            > > I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good book to start with?
            > > Ideally I would like to know different herbs and flowers and how to use
            > > them for a variety of problems and how to make my own remedies. Also is
            > > there something to explain the difference between a "tincture" and
            > > "decoction" and everything else?
            > > I would really appreciate any articles/books/blogs on this subject.

          • jack hollandbeck
            Message 5 of 10 , May 21, 2013
              Yup. Googling is a crap shoot. I have found that out from my research. Occasionally one can discover a portal. What fun that is. I can not vouch for my daughter's source, however. I will forward the links to her. She is a tough backwoods woman. She might be a natural for herbal lore. Thanks.
              Jack

              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com