drying my basil leaves?

  • Lady Biya
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
      I just plucked about 20 leaves of basil out of my indoor planter to
      stimulate more growth. I don't have any immediate need of the basil.
      Is there an easy way to dry the leaves? Right now they are all on a
      couple paper towels on paper plates sitting on my dining room table.

      --Laurel A. Rockefeller
      Author, Peers of Beinan Series
    • Ana Hawthorn
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
        There are several methods,all will work.  The biggest points are to keep them out of sunlight and where there is decent air circulation and it is warm and dry.  Granted- conditions aren't always optimal so you do what you can to meet those requirements.  With loose leaves you can even put them into a paper bag and just make sure you shake them daily to keep them from getting moldy.  I tend to put mine into baskets because the open weave helps air circulate underneath as well.  Just check them regularly, if you use plates turn them often while drying so that moisture doesn't build up beneath them or where leaves are touching.
        -Ana

        --
        "Blagoslovila te mati zemlja"
      • Galefridus Peregrinus

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
            I had very good results using the microwave -- they even kept their color!

            Put a paper towel on a plate. Spread herbs (single layer) on it. Cover
            with another paper towel.

            Microwave for 30 seconds. If they're not crisp, give them another 30
            seconds. And another, if they need it. (Parsley will be done the first
            time, but basil is juicier).

            When they cool, put them in a jar in a cool darkish place.

            The kitchen will smell wonderful!

            Johanna Lemercer

            Quoting Lady Biya <aisinbiya@...>:

            > I just plucked about 20 leaves of basil out of my indoor planter to
            > stimulate more growth. I don't have any immediate need of the basil.
            > Is there an easy way to dry the leaves? Right now they are all on a
            > couple paper towels on paper plates sitting on my dining room table.
            >

            > --Laurel A. Rockefeller
            > Author, Peers of Beinan Series

          • Martin S
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2013
              If you have an older gas oven, place the leaves on a paper towel, directly on the rack set at the lowest level. Leave the door open just a bit to allow air circulation. The pilot light in the oven will work as a dehydrator...even the temperature is nearly the same. Usually a day or two will do it. You can also heat a cast iron skillet to very hot, then toss the leaves in (single layer) and allow it to cool. Remove the leaves and repeat as needed until they are dry.
              A paper bag will also work but it will take longer and you have to keep it in a warm, dry place to prevent molding.

              YIS,
              Brage Brokholst

              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Lady Biya <aisinbiya@...> wrote:

              > I just plucked about 20 leaves of basil out of my indoor planter to
              > stimulate more growth. I don't have any immediate need of the basil.
              > Is there an easy way to dry the leaves? Right now they are all on a
              > couple paper towels on paper plates sitting on my dining room table.
              >

              > --Laurel A. Rockefeller
              > Author, Peers of Beinan Series

            • Kirk Spencer
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2013
                A limited alternative to drying is to make an herbal oil or vinegar. Another alternative is to freeze the leaves. If you do this, my personal preference is to put a teaspoon of leaves in each slot of an ice cube tray and fill those trays with water. This helps reduce the effects of 'freezer burn' on the leaves. Final alternative, also freezing, is to purchase some dry ice and use that to freeze the leaves. If you're going that way there are more instructions to include safety issues, but the leaves I've done it to have held strength longer than drying.

                Kirklin

                >________________________________

              • Rickard, Patty
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2013

                  I find results from freezing to be much better than drying.

                  A limited alternative to drying is to make an herbal oil or vinegar. Another alternative is to freeze the leaves. If you do this, my personal preference is to put a teaspoon of leaves in each slot of an ice cube tray and fill those trays with water. This helps reduce the effects of 'freezer burn' on the leaves. Final alternative, also freezing, is to purchase some dry ice and use that to freeze the leaves. If you're going that way there are more instructions to include safety issues, but the leaves I've done it to have held strength longer than drying.

                  Kirklin

                • Rachel Cundiff
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 11, 2013
                    You should also be able to freeze them in ice cube trays (with water.)  Then, when you need them, you defrost them and they are all "new" again !

                    --
                    Dum Vivo Servio (While I live, I serve)
                    Rachel Cundiff, OL