Herbal First Aid Handout

  • Marta McCarthy
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2013
    Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!

    The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a handout.  I'll see if Ihave time to put one together.  Mostly references at this point.

    Isabella
  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 2 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
      Isabella,

      Thank you for the Herbal First Aid document. It is ironic as just yesterday I was pondering this very thing! lol Your list will come in very handy. I have a thorough grab bag for first aid, but no herbals. As I will soon move into an RV for a nomad's life, your list will be very valuable. Thanks so much.

      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: misigilli@...
      Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:18:09 -0500
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Herbal First Aid Handout [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Marta McCarthy included below]

      Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!

      The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a handout.  I'll see if Ihave time to put one together.  Mostly references at this point.

      Isabella

      Attachment(s) from Marta McCarthy

      1 of 1 File(s)

    • Kirk Spencer
      Message 3 of 15 , Jan 9, 2013
        Wonderful. But Isabella, I have a question?

        I was always taught that for burns you should put it under cool, running water, and that standing cold water would be much slower, possibly even slower than just exposing the burn to moving air.

        Was I taught wrong, or has the best advice changed? Could you double-check? Because I'd really rather have the right info if/when I need it.

        With thanks,

        Kirklin

        Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!

        The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a handout.  I'll see if Ihave time to put one together.  Mostly references at this point.

        Isabella

      • Arrow
        Message 4 of 15 , Jan 9, 2013
          I was always taught that putting a burn under cool water would actually shock the tissues and cause it to be worse and that lukewarm water was much better.

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Kirk Spencer wrote:

          > Wonderful. But Isabella, I have a question?
          >
          > I was always taught that for burns you should put it under cool, running water, and that standing cold water would be much slower, possibly even slower than just exposing the burn to moving air.
          >
          > Was I taught wrong, or has the best advice changed? Could you double-check? Because I'd really rather have the right info if/when I need it.
          >
          > With thanks,
          >
          > Kirklin
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Lisa Rudge
          Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
            For burns and it does work, the older generations taught us to soak the burned area in milk! It takes the sting out!
            This may not be period but thought it might be of interest to others to add to their first aid list for everyday life!
            Valentina

            On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

            Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!

            The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a handout.  I'll see if Ihave time to put one together.  Mostly references at this point.

            Isabella

          • Ségnat ingen Fháeláin
            Message 6 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013

              I have a funny story  about herbalists and  burn first aid.

               When I was at an herb conference in Flagstaff this summer, they had programming for children.   One of the classes was a first-aid class taught by a woman who is married to an herbalist, but she herself is a wilderness first responder.  Anyway my husband took our eight-year-old son took the class while I was at a class with Matthew Wood on Greek Medicine which by-the-by was an amazing class for an SCA nerd to sit in on.

              My husband reported back  with the following story:

              Linda apparently asked all of the children what to do in the case of a burn and being good little children of herbalists their answers were things like;  rose vinegar, aloe, momma’s burn cream.

              Linda apparently rolled her eyes, scowled and told the children.
              That’s because they are herbalists…”   Put your hand under running water, in a stream or any other sort of moving water, then put whatever gunk you want to on it, after the burning stops.

              Just thought that was funny.

               As to the question, I asked my husband who was also a wilderness first responder at one point, said that they were taught that the water should be moving also as it carries the heat away from the skin. Granted it has been a few years now since he stopped guiding canoe trips and so he has let his certification lapse.  They might not make that recommendation.

              Sègnat

              Wonderful. But Isabella, I have a question?

              I was always taught that for burns you should put it under cool, running water, and that standing cold water would be much slower, possibly even slower than just exposing the burn to moving air.

            • Galefridus Peregrinus

                Wonderful. But Isabella, I have a question?

                I was always taught that for burns you should put it under cool, running water, and that standing cold water would be much slower, possibly even slower than just exposing the burn to moving air.

              • Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene
                Message 8 of 15 , Apr 23 6:06 PM
                  I use raw honey with comfrey. I also found something in Physicians of
                  Myddfai that used honey on burns.
                  --
                  Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene
                  Nec timeo, nec sperno.

                  Quoting Lisa Rudge <lisarudge2003@...>:

                  > For burns and it does work, the older generations taught us to soak
                  > the burned area in milk! It takes the sting out!
                  > This may not be period but thought it might be of interest to others
                  > to add to their first aid list for everyday life!
                  > Valentina
                  >
                  > On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> [Attachment(s) from Marta McCarthy included below]
                  >> Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!
                  >>
                  >> The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a
                  >> handout. I'll see if Ihave time to put one together. Mostly
                  >> references at this point.
                  >>
                  >> Isabella

                • Wendy Matejek
                  Message 9 of 15 , Apr 23 8:10 PM
                    I'm a medical professional and was taught to run cool water on a burn. However, I recently discovered that.....believe it or not......SALT completely stops the burning and prevents blisters!  Run burn under cool water for 1 min, then sprinkle on salt liberally and viola. This, of course, is not recommended for any burn that has open skin :)

                    Apollonia
                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Apr 23, 2013, at 7:06 PM, Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene <rosamistica@...> wrote:

                    I use raw honey with comfrey. I also found something in Physicians of
                    Myddfai that used honey on burns.
                    --
                    Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene
                    Nec timeo, nec sperno.

                    Quoting Lisa Rudge <lisarudge2003@...>:

                    > For burns and it does work, the older generations taught us to soak
                    > the burned area in milk! It takes the sting out!
                    > This may not be period but thought it might be of interest to others
                    > to add to their first aid list for everyday life!
                    > Valentina
                    >
                    > On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> [Attachment(s) from Marta McCarthy included below]
                    >> Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!
                    >>
                    >> The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a
                    >> handout. I'll see if Ihave time to put one together. Mostly
                    >> references at this point.
                    >>
                    >> Isabella

                  • jack hollandbeck
                    Message 10 of 15 , Apr 23 10:39 PM
                      cool trick for camping

                      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                      From: apollonia_de_avena@...
                      Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:10:36 -0600

                      I'm a medical professional and was taught to run cool water on a burn. However, I recently discovered that.....believe it or not......SALT completely stops the burning and prevents blisters!  Run burn under cool water for 1 min, then sprinkle on salt liberally and viola. This, of course, is not recommended for any burn that has open skin :)

                      Apollonia
                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Apr 23, 2013, at 7:06 PM, Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene <rosamistica@...> wrote:

                      I use raw honey with comfrey. I also found something in Physicians of
                      Myddfai that used honey on burns.
                      --
                      Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene
                      Nec timeo, nec sperno.

                      Quoting Lisa Rudge <lisarudge2003@...>:

                      > For burns and it does work, the older generations taught us to soak
                      > the burned area in milk! It takes the sting out!
                      > This may not be period but thought it might be of interest to others
                      > to add to their first aid list for everyday life!
                      > Valentina
                      >
                      > On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> [Attachment(s) from Marta McCarthy included below]
                      >> Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!
                      >>
                      >> The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a
                      >> handout. I'll see if Ihave time to put one together. Mostly
                      >> references at this point.
                      >>
                      >> Isabella

                    • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2185, ST
                      Message 11 of 15 , Apr 24 5:15 AM
                        Wish I had known that Sunday when I burned the heck out of my thumb! Ended up with a blister that covered my entire thumbprint. Ouch! Will remember this next time!

                        Thanks!

                        Lore

                        Quoting Lisa Rudge <lisarudge2003@... <mailto:lisarudge2003%40yahoo.com> >:

                        > For burns and it does work, the older generations taught us to soak
                        > the burned area in milk! It takes the sting out!
                        > This may not be period but thought it might be of interest to others
                        > to add to their first aid list for everyday life!
                        > Valentina
                        >
                        > On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@... <mailto:misigilli%40gmail.com> > wrote:
                        >
                        >> [Attachment(s) from Marta McCarthy included below]
                        >> Here is the First Aid Handout--still using some of your notes!
                        >>
                        >> The herbarium is mostly a show and tell, so I don't really have a
                        >> handout. I'll see if Ihave time to put one together. Mostly
                        >> references at this point.
                        >>
                        >> Isabella

                      • jack hollandbeck
                        Message 12 of 15 , Apr 24 2:06 PM
                          I remember my mom and aunt putting butter on my burns. Butter is not good, as it turns out, because it holds the pain and heat in. Bad thing. I got a grease burn some years ago. Cool water helped a lot. But I got to keep the scar.
                          Jack

                          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                        • silveroak@juno.com
                          Message 13 of 15 , Apr 24 2:09 PM
                            Greetings,

                            Firstly, a book I highly recommend:

                            The Artifice of Beauty - Sally Pointer - 2005 - isbn 0-7509-3887-0

                            Second, a burn recipe:

                            Calendula and lemon are good for burns, so I've put dried calendula petals and cut-up lemons into vodka for soothing burn relief. Scoop out some of the petal / pulp mush, put on the burn....ahhhhhh....

                            -Carowyn

                            How to Sleep Like a Rock
                            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51784a32b5daf4a320b3ast03duc
                          • Marta McCarthy
                            Message 14 of 15 , Apr 24 2:44 PM
                              I think we all have our own recipe.  What you teach others, what you learn in class and what you do for yourself.  I unfortunately, burn myself all too often.  Stop the cooking of the flesh is always first for me.  Cool water works, but iced water really works.  Stops the chemical release into the tissues and stops the damage from continuing.  Much like icing a sprain.  THEN apply topical of choice.  I have many aloe vera plants, and the pulp works well after the burning stops.  I like the calendula/lemon/vodka much idea.   I will have to make some and test it next time.  Always looking for a better mousetrap.

                              I have applied calendula/comfrey  in the past and that is good too.  Many burns, so far no scars.  I think it also depends on your type of skin.  If you scar easily, like my daughter, it's rough.  I have applied greasy stuff on and not always a good feel for me until the burning stopped.  We are water based creatures.

                              On a different note, I recently crushed a finger on a camping cot I was putting away from Gulf Wars, and I packed it in a comfrey poultice.  Didn't take the pain away initially, actually throbbed something awful all night.  But the next morning I had no swelling and I could move my finger joints. Pain was gone. I am thinking I only bruised the joints, but wow, it worked so well.  Made me a believer.
                              Stay well all,
                              Isabella
                              (yes, still putting away stuff from Gulf wars)

                              On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM, silveroak@... <silveroak@...> wrote:

                              Greetings,

                              Firstly, a book I highly recommend:

                              The Artifice of Beauty - Sally Pointer - 2005 - isbn 0-7509-3887-0

                              Second, a burn recipe:

                              Calendula and lemon are good for burns, so I've put dried calendula petals and cut-up lemons into vodka for soothing burn relief. Scoop out some of the petal / pulp mush, put on the burn....ahhhhhh....

                              -Carowyn

                              How to Sleep Like a Rock
                              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51784a32b5daf4a320b3ast03duc

                            • aranwen_of_willowford
                              Message 15 of 15 , Apr 29 8:45 PM
                                After cooling off the area right away, I just made some burn salve to be used should I find myself with a burn. It has:

                                Plantain, chickweed, and calendula infused oils (made), aloe oil (bought not made), and some lavender essential oil. (Eucalyptus and bergamot are on my project list of other potential essential oils to add)

                                If my comfrey will come up, it will be a useful ingredient here too for future batches, thanks to its rapid regrowth of damaged cells. (I plan only to use the leaf, and not the root! The potential risks to the liver are not something I wish to chance by consuming any root. But a leaf infused oil will be FINE for external use only. It would even be safe if accidentally consumed by... ? a pet, a kid, etc if I give any of it away, when avoiding the root.)
                                *Standard disclaimer, always do your own research, I am not a medical pro or anything :)

                                It also works on a number of other wounds too, which are of course inevitably going to be gotten.
                                I love that I can also use it for many things in addition burns such as blisters, scrapes, inflamed wounds, insect bites, skin infections, dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, and rashes. Wounds in general. Oh, also helps with rapid healing, while reducing scarring. You can build a great list when you identify all the constituents that you pick to use in your own concoctions!

                                http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/1293/aloe-vera-oil-certified-organic-

                                ~Lady Aranwen