Classes at Gulf Wars

  • Joyce Zeiler
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 14, 2012
      Gulf Wars.  It's not that far away!

      I am looking for that herbally artisan to teach classes at the Herbal and Botanical Tent this year.  This is the tent's seventh year, and I have had exceptional teachers share their knowledge with us in the past and expect this year to be no different. If you are interested in teaching, again this year, or for the first time, please let me know.  I will need to try to have everything scheduled by the first of January, to make sure classes make it in the AR Booklet.

      Not herbal, but know someone who is?  Please have them contact me!  I am looking forward to a full schedule again this year!

      Herbally Yours,

      Morin inghen Ruaric
      Herbal and Botanical Tent Coordinator
      Gulf  Wars XXII
      joycehzeiler@...
    • Marta McCarthy

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 15, 2012
            Morin,

            At this time, I think only once, as I have to gather up the materials.  If you have some empty spots, I can do another one.  We can revisit right before your final schedule.

            The other class I could teach is the cold process soap, but that was a two part.  I toyed with the idea of doing a class on tinctures, but I don't have enough material.  I will have to see.  I don't see much of a possibility on these two.

            My first aid class was very well received--I used some of your ideas, some of mine and some that were in the Herb Companion Article.  My students made bug balm and I think  comfrey/calendula salve.  Had 4 alcohol burners, 3 students to each one, and away they cooked.  Lots of fun.  Still have some beeswax,   I will have to see if my local beekeeper can give up some more, and maybe I can do that class.  I would have to charge for that one as the ingredients are a little costly.

            So maybe another herbarium and the first aid.  The first aid took at least 2 hours as well.  Would have a max of 16 participants, all adults (due to the medication aspect of the class and the fire involved in the cooking.  I can do 4 students per burner)   Can have quite a few observers with free handouts.   Could just cook the comfrey salve, and have everyone see a complete herbal kit (which I have).    I won't commit to that one yet.  Let's see what kind of a response you get.  If I did this, I can do one herbarium at the beginning of the week and then a first aid on another day.  A possible herbarium another day.  No classes on  Thursday, as midnight madness is on Wed night this year and I will be tired on Thurs.  So maybe Mon, Tues. Fri.  But again, see what other teachers you get.

            In Herbs,
            Isabella

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 15, 2012
              If you could teach the soap class, that would be wonderful.  I know you taught it one year and I had very positive feedback on the class.  Whatever you can do will be very much appreciated!

              On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

[...]

            • aranwen_of_willowford
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 15, 2012
                Greetings,

                I have been working on a class for the Hounds guild, Herbal Healing for Hounds, that I think should be ready for its first run at teaching now... :) Basically it highlights both medieval and modern applications of healing and remedies using herbs, for dogs.

                I just need to wait for a reply back from their Guildmistress to make sure that this will be a good time & place for it for them to attend.

                (And btw, if anyone has good knowledge in the area of dogs & herbs, I would sure not mind a reviewer or two in the subject area; drop me a line off-list if you are someone who may have some input.)

                --Lady Aranwen of Willow Ford

                --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

                > Gulf Wars. It's not that far away!
                >
                > I am looking for that herbally artisan to teach classes at the Herbal and
                > Botanical Tent this year. This is the tent's seventh year, and I have had
                > exceptional teachers share their knowledge with us in the past and expect
                > this year to be no different. If you are interested in teaching, again this
                > year, or for the first time, please let me know. I will need to try to
                > have everything scheduled by the first of January, to make sure classes
                > make it in the AR Booklet.
                >
                > Not herbal, but know someone who is? Please have them contact me! I am
                > looking forward to a full schedule again this year!
                >
                > Herbally Yours,
                >
                > Morin inghen Ruaric
                > Herbal and Botanical Tent Coordinator
                > Gulf Wars XXII
                > joycehzeiler@...

              • Marta McCarthy
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 15, 2012
                  I need to make sure I have enough lye for the class.  I should have enough for about 18 students.   We can keep the fees same as last class.
                  1. Herbarium (2 hrs) Monday--16 to 20 students (easy class)
                  2. Soap Tues and Friday (see what hours I had last time I taught--the Fri is only about 1 hour, the Tues was several hours) ONLY adults--caustic
                  3. First Aid maybe on Wed 2 hours.  16 hands on, unlimited observers.

                  I can teach all 3 classes without repeating any of them (soap still in 2 parts)  I prefer to be the first class of the day for all of them as I have the most energy then, and my mind is clearer.  It's the pesky fibromyalgia thing.

                  I just went over my handouts and it would be OK for all 3.  Now I am excited.

                  Isabella

[...]

                • Carol
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 2012
                    > Gulf Wars. It's not that far away!

                    Time-wise, apparently not. Distance-wise, it's very far away for some of us.

                    If you're teaching a class and will give handouts, please consider posting a link or offering the handouts by email for those who can't attend. After the event would be fine. adTHANKSvance!
                  • Joyce Zeiler
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 18, 2012
                      I will try to remind the teachers to post online.  I really thinks this helps us all!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 18, 2012
                          Wow.  That sounds like a great class!  I don't think we've ever had anything quite like that.  I'm sure its a fun class.  Let me know days and times you want to teach.

                          On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM, aranwen_of_willowford <aranwen@...> wrote:

                          Greetings,

                          I have been working on a class for the Hounds guild, Herbal Healing for Hounds, that I think should be ready for its first run at teaching now... :) Basically it highlights both medieval and modern applications of healing and remedies using herbs, for dogs.

                          I just need to wait for a reply back from their Guildmistress to make sure that this will be a good time & place for it for them to attend.

                          (And btw, if anyone has good knowledge in the area of dogs & herbs, I would sure not mind a reviewer or two in the subject area; drop me a line off-list if you are someone who may have some input.)

                          --Lady Aranwen of Willow Ford

                          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

                          > Gulf Wars. It's not that far away!
                          >
                          > I am looking for that herbally artisan to teach classes at the Herbal and
                          > Botanical Tent this year. This is the tent's seventh year, and I have had
                          > exceptional teachers share their knowledge with us in the past and expect
                          > this year to be no different. If you are interested in teaching, again this
                          > year, or for the first time, please let me know. I will need to try to
                          > have everything scheduled by the first of January, to make sure classes
                          > make it in the AR Booklet.
                          >
                          > Not herbal, but know someone who is? Please have them contact me! I am
                          > looking forward to a full schedule again this year!
                          >
                          > Herbally Yours,
                          >
                          > Morin inghen Ruaric
                          > Herbal and Botanical Tent Coordinator
                          > Gulf Wars XXII